Alright Everyone Need Some Input - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Alright Everyone Need Some Input

Alright here is my story. I've got a pretty beat up 2006 cobalt ls black with 136000 miles. I've got a budget of 2500. I definitely need a new hood and a paint job. I figured it would be cheaper to dip it. What color what should I do? Getting new door panels because they are pretty beat.

2007 SS/SC Lazer Blue Metallic. 2.90" pulley, 42# Injectors, K&N Typhoon Intake, Badmab Header, ZZP 3"dp, HPTuned, and Tsudo Muffler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Initiate

heres a good read on dipping on the cheap- Saving Money: Make Your Own Car Kit - Tips & Tricks - Plasti Dip My Ride

i dont care for matte black. i would say gun metal grey with matte black accents. you can always make your own color by getting clear and putting pigment in it. i get all my pigment from Custom Paints | Candy Paint - Metal Flake - Temperature Change Paint - Chameleon Paint - Pearl Paint - Clear Coat you will need about 25g-50g per gallon.. they did a cameleon dip job thats pretty cool. Dynamic Auto Dipping and PaintWithPearl Plasti Dip a Jetta Biodiesel in Chameleon: How To - YouTube
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

No cool ideas people? What's out there?

2007 SS/SC Lazer Blue Metallic. 2.90" pulley, 42# Injectors, K&N Typhoon Intake, Badmab Header, ZZP 3"dp, HPTuned, and Tsudo Muffler.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Contributor

Plasti-Dip the whole car, maintainence, suspension rehab.

2010 Cobalt 2LT Victory red Coupe
Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Get up to date on your maintenance and make sure the car is at least safe to drive. No use in spending the money repainting the car only for it to fall apart on you down the road.

As for the hood, maybe go with a carbon fiber model? Saves weight and looks decent, plus you wouldn't need to paint it.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Very true. Car has no rust because I always remove it. just got alot of scratches and crap hah

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Initiate

Garage
A lot of what you want to replace usually turns out to look pretty good when you really, really clean the piss out of it. Then like the door panels and carpet, remove it to do a good job. Use a power washer or the local car wash, then tuck in the frayed places, sew a few spots back up, spray a little color in spots. Polish the aluminum. Black the tires and door-window-trunk rubber. Detail under the hood. Save the money for the best oil filters, brakes, new tires etc. You'll be more proud of it than you would if you paid someone else to paint it and the money's gone, the crack in the windshield looks worse now, and that's when the a/c quits blowin' and the radiator spews green.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

I do all the work myself including painting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode