Worse gas mileage during winter? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Worse gas mileage during winter?

I got 30 mpg during the summer,and now that the cold has my mpg has dropped to 27.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Summit White 2010 Chevy Cobalt LT

Show Off- https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ry-cobalt.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCobalt View Post
I got 30 mpg during the summer,and now that the cold has my mpg has dropped to 27.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah that's normal

2005 cobalt base model coupe
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I normally get 23, ill probably get about 15 now lol

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, winter gas has more butane so mileage drops. This is not the only factor though.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

1. Time for engine and transmission to warm up to optimal temperature.
2. Transmission will not go into lock-up before it is warm therefore RPM's are 10% higher therefore burning more gas.
3. Differential lube (SAE 80)viscosity deminishes therefore harder to move.
4. Grease in wheel bearings gets really thick plus all bearings.
Front differential has 2. Two CV joints and two tripod joints all filled with grease.
5. Cold usally is accompanied by snow and snow is harder to roll through than bare pavement especially with hard to flex rubber sidewalls of tires.
Cold also causes ice build-up which weighs down your vehicle, it's like carrying extra passengers.
6. Heated seats, rear window defogger, heater fan wide open, wipers on more often, nights are longer therefore lights are on; all these draw current from alternator which drains power from engine which mean less fuel efficient.
7.Unless nitrogen filled ,watch your tire pressure because 35 psi at +30C is only 29 psi at -30C. You lose about one psi to every 10C. So if you got your tires installed in a warm Cozy garage at let's say +20C and inflated at 32 psi by the time you get home your tires are at 29 psi if it is -10C.
8. You get screwed at the pump. Gasoline is kept at 15C in the reservoirs. Every 15-degree swing in temperature changes the volume of gasoline by an estimated 1 percent. So if it is -5C outside and you pump 50 liters (12 gallons) you end up with 49.3 liters (11.8 gallons) when this gas reaches external temperature.

9. This is a quote "With the weather beginning to cool in the United States and Canada, the formulation of gasoline is also beginning to change. Regulations require gasoline with lower emissions and pollution in hotter months (summer gasoline), but those rules don't apply during the winter in many areas, so refiners move back to a type of gasoline that is cheaper to produce.

September 15 was the day that gasoline requirements were eased in many areas (aka the date of the first increase in RVP [Reid Vapor Pressure])- however- since the change to cheaper winter gas is not mandated, stations don't need to sell out of fuel before purchasing winter gasoline. Basically, since there is no requirement, stations don't purchase winter gasoline until they run low, so depending on a stations volume, you may not be pumping winter gasoline just yet. This is especially true premium gasoline- stations likely still have summer blended premium on hand and thus you may notice if you use premium that your fuel economy hasn't yet taken a hit.

Others may have already noticed a small drop in fuel economy. Winter gasoline contains more butane, which costs less, but also evaporates at a quicker rate and is more volatile. The savings that refiners see are passed on to motorists, similar to when motorists see prices rise as refiners produce summer gas each spring. Since the weather grows cooler, the increase in volatility is permissible."

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 11-26-2013 at 05:22 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Forum Regular

I dont know about you all, but my mpg gets better during the winter on all my cars. Cold air is easer to burn. Cars also get better hp and tqe durring the colder months.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I dont know about you all, but my mpg gets better during the winter on all my cars. Cold air is easer to burn. Cars also get better hp and tqe durring the colder months.
It's easier to ignite because of the higher amount of 02 (oxygen) in the air when it's colder, but that doesn't mean it's easier to burn anything cold. I'm not sure about the engine part, but in chemistry something with more energy (heat) is easier to burn. For example, it takes less energy to boil room temp water than to start off with ice. You need to add more energy to get something cold to burn.

2005 cobalt base model coupe
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
You are an exception my friend, because it doesn't logically make sense.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Initiate

Garage
He may live somewhere like me in Louisiana where it doesn't get as cold (anymore) as it does in Mount Snowball Maine. Yet we still get the winter gas with more aromatics for better vaporization. Not saying my mileage is better in the winter bc I really don't keep that close a watch. When it's in the 40s, that's so cold to me I sometimes think my sex has changed when I can't find the junk.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
It would be an innie here at -30. lol

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular

I just don't get it. During the hotter months I'll get anywhere between 28-29 mpg and during the colder months I get 30-31 mpg and I drive the same everyday. Cruse control to and from work. No traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode