Advice Needed for My Plans ! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Advice Needed for My Plans !

Hi everyone !

You might remember me from this thread: https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/new...first-car.html

But if you don't, long story short: I bought a 2005 Cobalt as my first car and crashed it 36 days later. Since September, I'm stuck with $500 automatic '99 Honda Civic and decided it's time to get back to the Cobalt world because I miss mine so much.

So here it is, I'm buying a new Cobalt soon, but since it wouldn't make sense to buy the same trim level as my old one, I want to aim higher.

My old 'Balt was a 2005 LS sedan, with the 2.2L L61 engine. It didn't had fogs nor sunroof, and had 4 nuts wheels.

I'm aiming for at least 2007 (because they retuned the engines) and preferably under 150 000km (so I'm sure to not have much problems with it from the start) and 5 nuts for the convenience and also to fit parts from a SS :P

If I buy an SS, it's gonna be the 2.4L LE5 (I don't have the budget for S/C or T/C) and if I go into LS or LT (which ever is the best trim between the two) I'll go for sedan because I find the non-SS coupe really ugly.

But, where your advice is needed, friends, is for the following questions:

- What's the difference between the L61 and the LAP ? Apart for HP and Torque, that is.
- Does the 2.4L SS have stock Brembo brakes ?
- If I take the LE5, I've seen that the F23 tranny cannot take more than 170 lb/ft of Torque... It has 161 stock and my plans for my future Cobalt is to tune the engine and some other mods that will probably make it go higher than 170. Will I risk destroying the tranny ? Is it possible to put the F35 on a LE5 ? How much would it cost ?
- Is there any difference between the sedan and the coupe apart from the fact that they are different body types ?
- Is it possible to install the fogs on a Cobalt that don't have them stock ? Is it costly ?

I've also been considering other options than a Cobalt, mainly 2004-2009 Mazda 3 GT (with the 2.3L) and 2003+ Saab 9-3. What are your opinion on these cars ? I've heard that Mazda rust a lot and that the electric system of the Saab 9-3 is shit...

Thanks for your answers in advance ! :D

Have a great day everyone !

Last edited by zombie-yellow; 12-30-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie-yellow View Post

- What's the difference between the L61 and the LAP ? Apart for HP and Torque, that is.

Lap has valve relief pistons and a vvt head

- Does the 2.4L SS have stock Brembo brakes ?

No, it has 4 wheel disc, but not brembos.

- If I take the LE5, I've seen that the F23 tranny cannot take more than 170 lb/ft of Torque... It has 161 stock and my plans for my future Cobalt is to tune the engine and some other mods that will probably make it go higher than 170. Will I risk destroying the tranny?

Im running over 350tq on my f23. Its not necessarily the torque numbers, its how it is applied. If its a gradual increase, it will be fine. If it was a torque spike from a tiny but powerful turbo, yes it would probably blow

Is it possible to put the F35 on a LE5 ? How much would it cost ?

Yes but its not going to be any better than yours other than longer gears. Not worth the money to swap everything over

- Is there any difference between the sedan and the coupe apart from the fact that they are different body types ?

Just the body, nothing different

- Is it possible to install the fogs on a Cobalt that don't have them stock ? Is it costly ?

You need a front bumper for the space.
I replied to your questions in thr quote.

You can find an lsj for just as much as an le5 if you look around enough

Personally I would find a better platform car if you have the money for it.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Well, thanks for the answers !

What do you suggest as a "better platform car" ?

Also, is it possible to put a supercharger or a turbocharger on the L61, LAP and LE5 ? Just wonderin' :P
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Of course. ZZP sells both FI kits (super & turbo) for the 2.2s and 2.4s. You can also do an LSJ take-off if you so wish.

ZZPerformance - 2.2/2.4L Turbo Kit #ZZ-2224TK
ZZPerformance - 2.2/2.4L Bolt on Supercharger Kit #ZZ-2224SCKT

Don't expect a Gran Turismo-like install. Supporting mods will be necessary.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I wasn't expecting a flawless perfectly fit in install either lol thanks for the info

What do you guys suggest as another option for a budget of roughly 7000$ ? I want your opinion on other cars that I could buy in the same category as a Cobalt (Don't say Honda Fit, Mazda 2, Toyota Echo or things like that thanks ^^)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
With a budget of 7k?

What are you looking for in a car? That will help narrow it down. If you're going to go with a balt, and want it for power and speed, get the LSJ, and eventually turbo swap it. If you're looking for something different, help us narrow it down.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
There's a lot you can do with 7k. I'm sure if properly invested in a non SS, you could blow the doors off damn near anything else you could pick up for that much. Turbo would be the way to go if you want power and speed.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I want a car with a sporty look, that has at least 160HP, that doesn't spend his lifetime in a garage and is not a rust magnet and don't need super-high price imported pieces when it breaks.

I was looking at Mazda 3 GT and Mazda 6 V6, but Mazdas rust a lot, so I don't know really... I'm also told that the clutch is really weak on Mazdas.

I was also looking at Saab 9-3 2.0T. It's really a nice car, but since Saab went bankrupt, pieces for it might get rare. Also, a mechanic told me that the electrical system in Saabs is really awful and isn't reliable. But I've never read anything about it on Saab Forums.

So yeah, pretty much something like that. I'm not really into import cars like Preludes, S2000 or Civic Si either.

Thanks for your help

EDIT: Power is definitely what I want ^^ Although some might argue it's really dumb to want a fast car when you cannot use it to it's full extent, I really love fast acceleration. And it's useful when passing someone on a road... I'm always shitting my pants when I do that with my crappy Civic with 80HP... Whereas when I had my 145HP Cobalt, it was much better :P Also, since I have my Civic, I realized that torque really matter... I miss my 155lb-ft.

Last edited by zombie-yellow; 01-03-2014 at 07:47 PM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you want to buy a new car in your budget with great tuning potential, a VW Golf 1.8t can get you there. A WRX might work too.

An SS Supercharged can fit in well with that crowd, but it is limited in certain respects.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

I wouldn't recommend any VW 1.8T I have known two people having this engine in their car, both are constantly in the shop for repairs.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode