Ah Check Engine Light Came on - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Ah Check Engine Light Came on

On way home from work today my check engine light came on on my 2009 Cobalt. 97,715 miles on it. So still under warranty I think cause it was 100k for engine issues.

Was a trouble code of P0014, cause I went straight to Autozone. Might have to go to the dealer. I hope that whatever it is, is still covered and can get fixed in a timely manner. Figures it's gotta happen during the week and this weekend supposed to go to a concert out of state.

Anyways the trouble was something to do with the camshaft phase angle has exceeded its tolerance value.

Causes were:
loose cam or crank sensor
excessive timing chain free play
blocked oil passage in the camshaft actuator
incorrect oil quality or viscosity(wondering if this might be the issue, I do always use the correct oil, but I'm at 13% oil life so being higher up in mileage maybe the oil life might not be spot on like it used to be. Gotta go check the level in a bit when the car has sat for a while.

So I drove home just fine and didn't notice anything odd, should I be good to go to drive to work the rest of the week? Not sure how major of an issue this is?

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

And on a side note. I just go check the oil and the stick was barely coming up with anything. Like the very tip of it had some on it. I added in almost a quart and then upon checking it was showing up one notch below the fill mark. So not sure what's up with that. I'll check it again in the morning to see where I stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Forum Regular

I usually put a new camshaft actuator soleniod valve in if there doesnt seem to be any other issues..
Almost need to view data with a scan tool, the soleniods can be commanded on while watching cam angle variation data.

I see you just added the checked engine oil level. low level could be the issue. top it up, clear it see if it comes back.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by short4stuff View Post
I usually put a new camshaft actuator soleniod valve in if there doesnt seem to be any other issues..
Almost need to view data with a scan tool, the soleniods can be commanded on while watching cam angle variation data.

I see you just added the checked engine oil level. low level could be the issue. top it up, clear it see if it comes back.
Plan is to do an oil change on Saturday and see if that clears it up. I think you need to start the car 10 times before it will clear the trouble. Or pull a fuse to reset it, which I have no clue.
Then if still trouble gonna make an appointment with the dealer. Really cutting it close since I'm 2,000 miles away from warranty expiring.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Forum Regular

If you disconnect the battery that should clear it.

The light will only go off after the test for that dtc passes 3 times. the code will clear after 40 times.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by short4stuff View Post
If you disconnect the battery that should clear it.

The light will only go off after the test for that dtc passes 3 times. the code will clear after 40 times.
New plan is to go have my father check it out tomorrow now. Just in case there is an issue, still do an oil change. And I'd imagine he'd know the fuse to yank to reset it. Hopefully not a major issue. Cutting it close on warranty and I'm in no position to have serious car issues. Trying to put my wife thru school and it's winter so work can be sporadic. Thankfully been having work.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Pulling the battery cable might've reset the CEL on older cars, but it won't work on ours. Buy a cheap OBDII reader at an autoparts store and keep it in your glovebox for whenever the light comes on. That's what I've done and it keeps the P0171 and P0420 at bay.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:59 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Yes it works lol

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Did an oil change yesterday and pulled the fuse for the CEL and put it back. So that made the light go out. And hasn't come back on which is good, but I've been instructed if it comes on again to immediately call the dealer to make an appointment. I'm 2,000 miles away from warranty being up on the engine. Which brings on another question which I'm going to post about in another post but I'll put some of it here. The oil life sensor. I was at 13% well I usually wait til about 5% to change oil. Anyways I've driven over 10,000 miles since the last change so that could be why the CEL came on. I'm thinking the oil life monitor does not work properly. I literally changed the oil yesterday and driven 90 miles and it is already down to 99%. It seems like the monitor might not work right or who knows. Maybe it's a really lenient guide on letting you know when to change the oil?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You said in first post your oil barely reached your dip stick. Don't you ever check your oil? You should check your oil at least every 2nd fill up. Read your owners manual, 6000 miles if you use synthetic 3000 for conventional. I'm amazed that you didn't have issues before. Timing chain in an Ecotec really doesn't like low oil levels. Cam actuators don't like dirty oil.

From now on try and do regular oil changes, believe me this is cheap preventative maintenance. If you're at 100,000 miles I suggest doing a transmission fluid change too because that can also be an expensive bill if you don't. $100 well spent in my opinion.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
You said in first post your oil barely reached your dip stick. Don't you ever check your oil? You should check your oil at least every 2nd fill up. Read your owners manual, 6000 miles if you use synthetic 3000 for conventional. I'm amazed that you didn't have issues before. Timing chain in an Ecotec really doesn't like low oil levels. Cam actuators don't like dirty oil.

From now on try and do regular oil changes, believe me this is cheap preventative maintenance. If you're at 100,000 miles I suggest doing a transmission fluid change too because that can also be an expensive bill if you don't. $100 well spent in my opinion.
Yeah I definitely need to be more attentive, because need to make this car last. Gonna top of the fluids(brake and antifreeze) this weekend and will see about a transmission fluid change also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode