Making Changes - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Making Changes

I have a 06 Ls that I would like to have tricked. She's red and doesn't have any flaws except small scratches (I'm trying to fix once it's a little warmer ourside). I am looking for some ideas that it's in a budget.
I need ideas on exterior, interior and performance.
If you have questions for me regarding preference or anything, just ask away.

**Please no girly suggestions. . Lol**(serious)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

Here are just a few ideas that popped into my head

For Interior-
Swap out the LS cloth interior with the SS Recaro leather interior. This will include swapping out the door panels and front and rear seats. This is an easy job, and relatively cheap if you can get the interior from a wrecked SS.

For Exterior-
You can swap out the LS front and rear bumper covers with SS bumper covers, and also put on some SS side skirts. Personally, I don't like the look of most of the body kits available for the cobalt other than the stock SS body, but that is just my opinion.

For suspension-
You can swap out the stock FE1 shocks and struts with FE5 shocks and struts. For springs you should either upgrade to SS/TC or SS/SC coil springs all around. This will help a lot with body roll and helps the car handle a lot better in general. This also lowers the ride hight of your car a tad bit (1" If I am recalling it correctly). Another option is to go for some lowering springs if you want even lower ride height (Eibach is a good choice for those I believe).

For performance-
If you don't want to go the forced induction route, A cold air intake is a good cheap upgrade. You can also put on a set of nice headers and get a new exhaust system (ZZperformance has a nice spread of headers you can buy). Mind you adding a CAI and upgrading the exhaust doesn't add much HP to the L61 (20 hp max).

If you want to go forced induction, there are a lot of threads here and on cobaltSS . net that can explain all the details on that.

There are a ton more modifications you can do to your car that I do not feel like listing here. Your best bet is to just look around the forum at what other people have done.

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
An intake is more for the sound than any real power gains, but even that 1hp @ 6500 RPM will be worth spending the $200 for because it does sound good lol. I'd recommend an Injen as you can use it as both a short ram as well as a cold air.

A header is a great modification to make. It'll allow the exhaust gasses to escape easier and faster therefore improving efficiency and power. ZZP makes arguably the best ones (shorty, midlength and long-tube) and often pairs them up with their downpipes with your choice of 400 cell (big), 200 cell (small) and cat-less options. The lower the cell count, the less restrictive the converter and the less power you'll lose.

Next is a catback. This'll make a few ponies but again it's more for the sound. There are many options but in essence they're all very similar. GMPP makes a damn good one, but they can be pricey new. An eBay option (ex. Tsudo) can work just as well for ~$120

If you want to maximize your bolt-ons, you could spring for an upgraded throttle body (LE5 or LSJ) and an LE5 intake manifold. You may need a special adapter and harness plate to properly mate them and a tune to run it. Unfortunately, your only option for tuning would be Trifecta. They're decent but don't expect miracles. A fully bolted and tuned L61 will be good for around 145whp. Hope that helps.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Forum Regular

If you drive often and go long distances, you could go for comfort over appearance. Wire in a GPS, install a new head unit and descent speakers, get the recaro seats and put a tint on the Windows.
how many miles are on the car?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Cobalt Master

we can tell you about a million different things to do, but first we are gonna need some pictures, and surely you have some idea of what you want to do, or at least what you want changed to help us help you out so to speak haha

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

good place to start though at least visually would be lowering it, going for low or handling doesn't matter much because even one inch lower makes it look so much better! just have to decide what you want more, then a good set of wheels will really help out with the look as well along with maybe some tint to start with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will take your suggestion into consideration when starting the change for my Cobalt this coming summer. I will provide pictures tomorrow, even though my car is dirty, I live in Michigan lol.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

I would like to have more of a sportier look like red and black exterior and interior. Making the vehicle look more dangerous like a charger or the Camaro.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Cobalt Master

I live in michigan too haha doesn't mean your car has to stay dirty.... I wash mine like every other day haha

Quote:
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
I live in michigan too haha doesn't mean your car has to stay dirty.... I wash mine like every other day haha
Lol it does... thanks to the rain today.. im golden! Ha
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Cobalt Master

No rain here haha my car actually still looks all clean and shiny from Tuesdays wash!

Quote:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Here pictures of what I'm currently working with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150503_181241_1430697253352.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	3609   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150503_181233_1430697304214.jpg
Views:	69