Reduced Engine Power - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Reduced Engine Power

I have a 2009 Chevy cobalt LT and am getting a reduced engine power reading. I changed the oil and filter as well as changed the P0013 Exhaust cam position actuator and am still getting the problem. It starts and drives but has no power and seems to slip a bit. Can anyone help.

Last edited by Coby7; 08-20-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
What codes are you getting?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would check the ground under the driver's seat.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I'm getting codes P0641 5 volt reference 1 circuit, P0366, & P0341. I replaced the exhaust camshaft position sensor and changed the oil and still didn't work. I then took it to the local Chevy dealer and they told me it was the ECM. So I bought one at a junk yard and had them reprogram it and still I'm getting the same problems and codes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I'm getting codes P0641 5 volt reference 1 circuit, P0366, & P0341. I replaced the exhaust camshaft position sensor and changed the oil and still didn't work. I then took it to the local Chevy dealer and they told me it was the ECM. So I bought one at a junk yard and had them reprogram it and still I'm getting the same problems and codes.
I had the same exact issue. They charged me 600+ for new ecm
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Forum Regular

I also recently had the exact same problems. You know what the cause was? The wires that rest on the topside of the engine had begun to short out because they were TOUCHING the engine at times and it was melting the wires. Check your wiring! You can slip those black plastic sleeves off of the wires to inspect them for any melting or damaged sheathings. This was what fixed mine. Hope yours is something as simple as that.

"Remember not to litter,
spay or neuter your critter."
Strangest road sign ever.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular

i had that a few years ago and they told me a used ecm really would not work. that they are almost specific to the car. they installed a new ecm because the body computer uses the ecm memory also and they had to run everything in the car toe make sure that it would not set codes. and i have to take it back 2 times because the back door lock set a code and the trunk set a code. they told me that if they used a junk yard ecm and i got a bunch of codes after the install they would not fix those for free. so it was worth getting a new ecm being i had to take it back a few times. the junk yard ecm was 600.00 a new one was 800.00 installed and made to work.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Prospect

Garage
I'm gonna jump in this thread rather than start a new thread...

2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged...

Bought this in 2011 with 18K miles. Had to replace fuel pump high pressure line flaw, few months later dealer comped me for it because recall extended to my state. Replaced front sway bar bushing because of "clunking" noise when going over bumps. Already had the power steering recall, did the ignition switch recall. Replaced cabin, engine, fuel filters. It had been running quite well...I've just reached 41K.
I baby this car and never romp on the throttle unless engine coolant is at temperature and I'm not a racer, I just like a little zip when I get on the freeway ramp or want to pass. Used to be it was almost scary acceleration and just made this hummmmmm!!!!

Now I have an odd burbling stumble that happens more in cold weather mostly when accelerating moderately in second gear. But it can happen in any gear if not accelerating hard. Engine coolant is warm 160-180F when this happens but will happen more easily if engine is colder. Feels as if air backing up in supercharger and feeding back through feet. No engine codes, two mechanics swear they can feel nothing and find no codes with their super duper engine readers. But I can hear a roughness in the idle and during acceleration and there is less power. Could this be spark plugs or spark plug transformers or as a few of you have suggested for other threads, a dirty throttle body? I already ran the $25 can of injector cleaner through the engine recommended by second mechanic.

Last edited by Mr Bill; 12-28-2015 at 06:53 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Spark plug transformers? Do you mean coils? Doubt one of those would go at that mileage. Worth pulling the plugs and making sure they look good.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode