Looking at 2008 LS - 88,000 Miles - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Question Looking at 2008 LS - 88,000 Miles

Hi all. I am going to look at a 2008 LS coupe tonight as a first car for my teen. I am not very familiar with the colbalts. Anything I should watch out for? From reading the forums some I will be listening for clunks and stuff in the front end. Asking price is $3500. also will be looking at a 1999 Civic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I mean, other than the vehicle shaking violently, or making some horrible noise - which on any car is a bad sign, I can't say there's really any characteristic problems to the Cobalts.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would check the intermediate shaft if it has never been changed.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Good to know, thanks, that makes it much easier. Guy who owns it has had it since 2009 and says he has all maintenence records.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I would check the intermediate shaft if it has never been changed.
I will need to google that. No idea what an intermediate shaft is. Very stressful this used car shopping. My daughter loves the look of the Cobalt so I am hoping it works out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Forum Regular

Sounds like a good price, especially if maintenance was done on schedule and everything is in good working order! Should be a fine first vehicle for you kid.

Only thing I would advise that hasn't been mentioned is to check on the status of the two major recalls for the Cobalt (ignition switch and power steering motor) after you buy it, if you choose to. Dealership would take care of those if they apply, I'm not entirely sure if the 2008s were as affected by those recalls as other model years.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzy View Post
I will need to google that. No idea what an intermediate shaft is. Very stressful this used car shopping. My daughter loves the look of the Cobalt so I am hoping it works out.
The intermediate shaft runs from the steering rack to right around the electric power assist motor under the dash. In short: the steering shaft.

Speaking of - that's probably what is clicking when I turn lock to lock while I'm backing out of the garage (so I'm stopped).

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well, it looks like it has some front end issue. I heard some squeaks on dips in the road. We bought it anyway as everything else was really nice. Any idea's how a novice would narrow down the possible issue? He took a few hundred off the price so hopefully that will be enough to cover the repair.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzy View Post
No idea what an intermediate shaft is. Very stressful this used car shopping. My daughter loves the look of the Cobalt so I am hoping it works out.
Listen, I bought 2 of these so my daughters gcould go back and forth to university. They are great cars when maintained. The 07 I've had for almost 6 years, the girls put 70-80 thousand mile on it, aside from regular maintenance I replace a fuel pressure sensor and a front speaker. The other one the red 2010 my oldest has been driving for 2 years I replaced a front wheel bearing and a speaker. The 2008 aside from what I did to it when I bought it a year ago nothing. Parts are cheap and work on these is easy. My signature shows all......

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Prospect

I agree with Coby7, these cars are fine if maintained. I was skeptical at first after reading all the internet horror stories, but they are just that. Take it with a grain of salt, and I'd assume 90% of everyone on the internet is not too smart or scientifically capable of diagnosing anything while they whine and complain after buying a brand new car with a couple of quirks. GM quality control is not going to be like Japanese.

The cost of a Toyota or Nissan equivalent in my area is going to be significantly more money, and the south Florida general public wants these really bad. So I opted for a 5 speed (no one wants manuals anymore), and sure enough I found a great deal on a Chevy much newer than the same priced import with 5 different owners that abused it.

Again, Coby7 is right, these cars are easy to work on. Also parts are really cheap and readily available - compare a O2 sensor price on a Chevy and a import. 250-500% price difference probably.

My vehicle has 166K on it, 2006. I'm the 3 or 4th owner. Only thing outside of normal wear and tear items I've replaced is in the past 4 months I've been driving it is:

Ignition control module
Crankshaft Sensor
(Coils, probably didn't need it but the car has a lot miles on it).

The CKP sensor pretty much killed the car until it was replaced. Diagnosis took me a little while because there was no CEL light, but this forum shed enough knowledge on me to make a educated decision that fixed all my stalling/misfire/shutdown after engine warmup problems I experienced with a bad CKP sensor. I found out without a good signal from the CKP the computer can't run the engine at all because it has no idea how to time fuel/spark.

Oddly my crankshaft sensor on my 1995 Camaro is original and is over 20 years old with 225K miles on it. CKP sensor on the Cobalt is a piece of cake to replace though - remove starter (2 bolts), remover sensor. Front wheel drive is a lot more cramped for space than a rear wheel drive car though, so it helps if you have smaller hands (I have big hands). It'd be a pain in the ARSE on a Camaro cuz the front timing cover would need to come off, meaning all the front engine accessories needs to come off.

John Matrix

Last edited by jmatrix; 11-17-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode