Multiple Questions Regarding Cobalt LT - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation Multiple Questions Regarding Cobalt LT

Hello all! It's been quite a while since I've posted here. I've had my Cobalt for about 6 months or so, and so far so good - ever since the car got fixed that first month of ownership, it's been great!

Now, I've got a few questions that I could really use some information on as Google has been... relatively bad with answering my question. Pardon if this is the wrong forum - given the nature of the questions, I don't think it'd fall under any one category.

The first issue - I'm aware of the GM Ignition Switch Recall - I've checked some sites - Cars.com report a recall on the switch, but further research seems to only talk about 2007 models and earlier. Should I get to my dealership and inquire about getting the switch repaired, or should I be alright as it's a 2010 model? Is there anything I can look for without having to tear the car apart or drop it off for any amount of time?

The second issue is actually related to the ignition switch problem. Assuming I'm not in a setting that pulling over to the side is possible - and also assume it's a busy day on the highway and I would PREFER to not slow to a stop with emergency lights blinking - is there any way I can re-start an AUTOMATIC car while it is still in motion - even if it's in neutral to start (and that being said, is it possible to safely switch back from neutral to drive if the engine can be restarted)? I see one or two results talking about the engine re-starting while going a certain speed, but I also see a lot of results where it can damage the car - and not all of these results specify a manual or automatic transmission.

With the upcoming holiday, I'm interested in switching up the car stereo to something new and suggested a new stereo as one of few gift ideas - I love the current one, but the lack of bluetooth and my desire to have fewer wires along the cockpit has me wanting a new radio. I'd LOVE to try this myself, both because I'm that kind of person, but also because the cost of a stereo installation is insane (from around $200 for a stereo and a possible adapter to nearly $450 parts and labor?) That being said, the guy at the store made it sound all daunting (and even if it isn't, I can see why he'd want to discourage DIY projects when there's so much money to be had) but does anyone have any advice for installing aftermarket systems? I was looking at a AVH-270BT or FH-X720BT, both double-din stereos. Other than that, will I need any additional components? I keep seeing Pre-2010 cobalts requiring a door chime module; is this needed for a 2010 cobalt as well? Will I need any other kind of adapter to convert the factory connectors to this new stereo? Do I need a new double-din bracket for this or does it usually come with the stereo system?

Lastly, perhaps someone could give me better clarification here, or give me some information on where I can find out - as long as it is not in use during driving, what are the laws regarding additional car lighting - perhaps LED strips along the car body, or even underglow lighting? I had an idea to add a light effect when starting the car and ONLY when starting the car. Afterwards it stays off and wouldn't come on unless manually toggled. It'd be both for show, and a fancy car-locator tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Recall applies to all Cobalts.

If your car stalls for whatever reason you can tap into neutral, start the engine again and switch to drive with absolutely no danger of damage to the transmission or any other part of the vehicle. The BCM, TCM and ECM will make sure nothing unruly happens.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Regarding the recall, I'll keep that in mind and figure out the best time for me to take care of this.

As for the second part, to double-check, I would switch to neutral, turn the key all the way the same way I would be starting the car normally, and THEN switch back to drive? This won't cause any issue?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
None! None what so ever.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 12-12-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode