Potential 06 Cobalt Ss Owner - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Potential 06 Cobalt Ss Owner

Hi all. I'm a possible cobalt ss owner and figured this would be a good place to find out more about the car. I"ve read reviews and they all seem 50/50. Some really love the car, but others say its cheaply made and things break on it that shouldnt. Have you guys had any major trouble with your cars besides the usual maintenance and upkeep?

Any help or tips would be great. Thanks

P.s. This is the car Im looking and almost pulling the trigger on. I dont know if its just me or what but I absolutly hate the black decals it has on it.

Used Chevrolet Cobalt For Sale Evansville, IN - CarGurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, really not digging the black striping. It's a good car though, the 2.4 is a hearty motor, especially that year since it had beefier internals and could take boost much better than later years 2.4 and any 2.2. If you're looking to modify your car, this is a great base to start with. Aftermarket parts are cheap, plentiful and very effective. Don't worry about the automatic, it can take well over double the stock torque without issue.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, those black stripes are awful. They should come off pretty easy, though.

There's a large following behind these cars for a reason - honestly, they're not remotely as bad as some people would have you believe. The Cobalt SS/TC held the record for fastest FWD production car around Nuerburgring for years (until the French released something that is very nearly a race car, that is "production", which beat it).

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The SS/TC is one of the most underrated cars of our time. It'll run toe to toe with things costing double, even triple.

Base models are as reliable as the sunrise, and when they do go wrong, it's laughably cheap and simple to fix.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I think im going to pull the pin on it tomorrow. Good price and low milage. And its better then the pos neon that im driving now.

Yea I was talking to the car dealership guy and he was trying to convince me to avoid removing the stripes due to it stripping the clear coat off. What would be the best and easiest way to remove them?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Depends on how they were installed, but a heat gun or hair dryer aimed at it should do the trick.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Any plans to mod it?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Not really sure. What would you recommend?

My first order of business is to remove the black stripes and fix one or two things that need to be fixed; one interior door handle paint is coming off and the plastic interior frame is falling off. I also want to get a better radio/sound system (maybe).

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Honestly considering taking it into a body or custom shop and have someone remove the black for me. I dont know if I trust myself doing it myself ha
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Simple bolt-ons are always a good place to start. A CAI and a catback will open up some sound and give you a little more zing, maybe a ZZP midlength header and DP to complete it. Car should handle pretty well on FE3s, but can be made into a proper slot car with the FE5 shocks/struts (SS/TC stuff) and lowering springs of your choice.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

An LSJ TB (w/adapter & harness) and a tune (either Trifecta or HPT) to max your bolt-ons. Should be good for right around 200hp, give or take.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode