Question for those in the know. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
The Beep

Question for those in the know.

Hi all,
I am a field service engineer who's on the road alot. I need a car that is perfectly happy going 75+mph for hundreds of miles every day. It must get 35+ mpg and have a range of 400+ miles between fueling.

Peace and quiet, comfort and leg room are a must.

I'm going to look at an 08 Cobalt coupe 5 spd on Saturday. Is this my car or should I go with a Civic for another $3000.

As a C4 Corvette owner, I know you forum folks are the ones to ask.

Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Cobalt Master

get a smart car if you are smaller, otherwise, the cobalt is your best bet
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular

or you could go really small like an aveo, honda fit, suzuki sx4 or whatever it is. just a little econobox
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltkrazy View Post
get a smart car if you are smaller, otherwise, the cobalt is your best bet
Field service engineer means he's like a technical mechanic probably working on high end machinery. He needs somewhere to put the tools, Smart car is only like 40 mpg freeway and has no interior space and nowhere to stow tools.

My Balt gets me 33mpg mixed city and freeway...I don't drive 75 but if I was driving all freeway it would probably be atleast 32 going that fast. Also, at 34 mpg and a 13 gallon tank with all freeway driving means 400 miles per fill is attainable. I have done more than 400 but that was on a trip to Sothern California on hwy 5 going 70.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Cobalt Master

i am a mobile mechanic, and i could fit my small toolbox in a smartcar, but couldnt get my oversized frame in there
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Veteran

While I'd say a smart car is fine for the city I don't think I'd want to be on the highway with one. I'm sure they are safe but those cars are awfully tiny to be going 75mph in with other cars doing the same. I'd hate to see what an accident in one of those at that speed would look like.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Forum Regular

You are using the car for business purpose, so I'll offer two points:

1. Cobalt cost a lot less. Saves you money upfront. Better warranty. You will drive a lot, that 100K powertrain coverage may be a good deal in the long run.

2. Civic will have a higher resale value used. So if you are taking a business expense and depreciation, the car could be worth zero for tax purposes. But sill command a good price used.

As an owner of both cars (Civic in the past), I would say getting 35MPG+ is very realistic. I have not hit 30MPG in my Cobalt (so far). Both auto trans. Mix city/hwy.

2008 Cobalt Sedan LT automatic
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM
The Beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMADreamer View Post
While I'd say a smart car is fine for the city I don't think I'd want to be on the highway with one. I'm sure they are safe but those cars are awfully tiny to be going 75mph in with other cars doing the same. I'd hate to see what an accident in one of those at that speed would look like.
Ah, you guys got me! Is a Civic considered a "smart car" like a hybrid or something?

I'm staying away from hybrid's (for now). I test drove a little Toyota Yaris at 70mph and it was truely frightening. I honestly thought the car was going to leave the road!

The Focus showed some promise at first but I was suprised when the drivers seat went back a very little bit and stopped (I have longer legs).

For some reason the GM dealers I've visited have been out of the basic 5spd coupes (G5 and Cobalt).

My hope is that the Cobalt is roomy and has a low drag coefficient and high enough gearing with the 5spd to offer good mileage/range.

I've always been a Chevy guy (owned 4 Camaro's) and really hope this one works out.

Is there anything else I should look for when I go see this car?

Thanks again.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Go w/ the fit, good mileage, just a few more than a base Balt and you should achieve what you are looking for. Plus the fit has alot more space. I had an LS balt for a year, was good on gas on the highway, think I averaged close to 40 mpg a couple times but it quickly drops to low 30's as soon as you slow down and have to get moving again.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beep View Post
Is there anything else I should look for when I go see this car?

Thanks again.
Make sure you get Cruise Control. It's optional. And when you go from car to car to car to compare, sometime we forget the little stuff.

2008 Cobalt Sedan LT automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode