New guy, Got some ?'s - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

New guy, Got some ?'s

Hey everyone, just came across this site, looks to be a very cool site. My name is Josh, I just bought a 2008 Cobalt LS the other day, Its imperial blue with tan and black interior with a 5 spd. So far I have already debadged it and smoked the taillights. So far I love the car, but Im having some issues with it, hopefully someone might be able to help. I was driving it last night and i was on a hill. I had it revved up to about 4k rpms and my foot slipped off the clutch. It took off wheel hopping then out of no where, the speedo tach and fuel guage all turned off and my display started saying power steering. I drove it for a few hundred feet and the power steering did go out. So I shut it off and it wouldnt restart. I managed to pop start it and drive it to somewhere safer and have it towed to the dealer, but it hasnt been looked at yet. The car only has 600 miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas of what may be wrong with my car? Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Expert

First off...welcome to Yourcobalt.com

We've had a few members with power steering problems I'm sure they'll post here.

You did the right thing by bringing it to the dealer though because now they have one more person reporting this problem and hopefully eventually they'll have a recall for this problem.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsepulveda89 View Post
Hey everyone, just came across this site, looks to be a very cool site. My name is Josh, I just bought a 2008 Cobalt LS the other day, Its imperial blue with tan and black interior with a 5 spd. So far I have already debadged it and smoked the taillights. So far I love the car, but Im having some issues with it, hopefully someone might be able to help. I was driving it last night and i was on a hill. I had it revved up to about 4k rpms and my foot slipped off the clutch. It took off wheel hopping then out of no where, the speedo tach and fuel guage all turned off and my display started saying power steering. I drove it for a few hundred feet and the power steering did go out. So I shut it off and it wouldnt restart. I managed to pop start it and drive it to somewhere safer and have it towed to the dealer, but it hasnt been looked at yet. The car only has 600 miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas of what may be wrong with my car? Thanks for any help in advance.
Congrats, that's #2 to lose the VSS!!!!!!

The "vehicle speed sensor" is what controls the speedometer on your car. If it is not functioning, then you will have no speedometer.

Here's the kicker, you also have speed sensitive electric steering, if there is nothing telling the computer how fast the car is going, how can it send a signal telling the steering to assist????

My car has exactly the same issue, but i kn ow what it is, and if you can tell how fast you are going by your tach, it is still somewhat driveable. I drove it home with no extra issues.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:52 PM
domin8

Sounds like the wheel hop caused something to happen. I'd just have the dealership take a look at it and warranty it since it has so few miles. They are very unlikely to be able to prove the wheel hop caused it.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Veteran

The key is to not tell them anything about wheel hop. Just say it happened, don't tell them what you were doing when it happened.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Turns out the ecu went bad some way, so there supposed to get a new one in it tomorrow. Got my loaner car, 4 door cobalt today, it seems nice, but Im ready to get back in my coupe. Ill keep everyone updated on what comes out of all of this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsepulveda89 View Post
Turns out the ecu went bad some way, so there supposed to get a new one in it tomorrow. Got my loaner car, 4 door cobalt today, it seems nice, but Im ready to get back in my coupe. Ill keep everyone updated on what comes out of all of this.
as long as it's warranty work, take it and run. i have to shell out my own wallet, cause i did a new clutch, cause the moron mechanic who did the trans service never noted the clutch wear.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltkrazy View Post
as long as it's warranty work, take it and run. i have to shell out my own wallet, cause i did a new clutch, cause the moron mechanic who did the trans service never noted the clutch wear.
where is the vss at i think i have that same issue with the steering, mine just went out today completly? and about how much was a new one?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

well i got it back the other day, turned out everything was fine, it was just a wire that got worn down through the rubber and was grounding out. They even gave me a new e brake since they broke mine while it was in the shop.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncd11 View Post
where is the vss at i think i have that same issue with the steering, mine just went out today completly? and about how much was a new one?
i just put in a new VSS today, and all my issues with power steering is gone. It is located on the transmission, you will need to remove the driver's side wheel to change it, easily done on jack stands.

what model do you have, and is it an auto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode