Three Years After I Crashed My First Cobalt, I'm Back in the Club ! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Three Years After I Crashed My First Cobalt, I'm Back in the Club !

Some of you might (maybe.. not really...) remember me from my first post here and how I crashed my first Cobalt (and first car ever) the day after posting that thread (and after 36 days of ownership)... I've been stuck with a crappy beat up 1999 Honda Civic since October of 2013 and I finally got my self a new Cobalt after all this time !

Here's the new beast ! It's a 2008 Cobalt LT sedan with ****ing everything on it ! Sunroof, fog lights, wing, 5 bolts rims, A/C, etc... when you've been driving a barebones Civic for three years, this feel like driving a goddamn Mercedes !

Anyway, I love this car, can't stop looking at it when I park it and walk away haha

I bought it for 3500$ and it doesn't have a spec of rust anywhere on it apart from the hood, but I bargained with the dealership I bought it from and they gonna replace it for free !

So yea, just wanted to say hi I'm back :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Welcome back.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 05-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Expert

Garage
Glad to hear you're back into a Cobalt, and welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Old 05-08-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thank you ! So how's the forum doing? Still alive and kicking or slowing down a bit :/
Old 05-09-2016, 07:11 AM
Expert

Garage
Well, I've only been here for about a year, so it's about the same as when I joined, but the Off Topic Forum is still pretty active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Old 05-09-2016, 06:43 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I'm still sorta kickin around here lol
Welcome back to the gang!

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
Old 05-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
I'm still sorta kickin around here lol
Welcome back to the gang!
Says the stranger....

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 05-09-2016, 07:26 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni

Garage
I mostly just troll these days lol

Old 05-09-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Hey thanks guys Got a couple of general questions for ya !

In my first Cobalt (2005), the DRL (lights set on "auto") were just the two flashers staying lit up all the time until it went dark and then the white main lights lit up, but now on my 2008 Cobalt, the DRL are the main white lights and went it goes dark, the two flashers light up with the main lights. Did they change the DRL, or is something broken ?

I got the stock Cobalt sound system, but have kept all the Pioneer speakers and sub from my first one. Would it be possible to put the Pioneer speakers in my new Cobalt, or am I better off purchasing an aftermarket set ?

If I want to use my Cobalt as a DD but with light track use, should I just put the SS suspension on it or seek full aftermarket coilovers ? I want to lower it, that's for sure, and I don't want cut springs or just put lowering springs on stock (and therefor incorrectly set) dampeners as this kills the handling.

What's the best way to keep it rust free ? I live in Canada, and this car is surprisingly rust free (except for the bottom of all 4 doors and under the sides (when the painted body reaches the unpainted floor)). Should I just do a full touch up of all the dents and paint chips, wax it and wash it often ?

Does the SS exhaust line fits the L61 ? I sure would like a nicer sound out of it :P

And final question, is there a way to make the throttle response more aggressive ? I'm used to driving a fully mechanical 1999 Honda Civic where my gas pedal is connected to the throttle body by a wire which makes the engine respond immediately to a change in the pedal position. I don't know if it's exclusive to that electronic throttle thingy that the Cobalt (and all new cars) seem to have, but my throttle response seems sluggish. It seems like the engine is trying to interpret what I want instead of doing what I ask... For example, if I'm driving at 100 km/h on fifth gear and push my foot down a little (but not flooring it obviously) the engine will suddenly jump to about 5k RPM and then settle down to 2.5k or whatever it was at before even though I didn't mess with the pedal apart from pushing a little further... It seems like I'm driving an automatic even though it's a manual lol

I don't know if it was the right place to ask these, but the topic of each of these questions is so different from one another, I thought it would be better to ask them all in the same place ! Please do tell me if you'd like me to post individual topics in the appropriate subs instead !

Thanks !
Old 05-09-2016, 08:31 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni

Garage
They updated the drl's, and if you don't like having them on you can pull the drl fuse without messing anything else up.

I would just go ahead and get an after market stereo system. It prolly wouldn't cost much more to get it installed in the end...

As for suspension, there are a million answers to that question. The easiest is to get the FE5 shocks and struts (from the cobalt SSTC) with some lowering springs. YYZ springs give the best performance but with no real noticable drop, so if you're wanting a bit of drop look elsewhere. The FE3 control arms are a nice upgrade as well and they directly bolt on. Then just keep building from there!

The SS exhaust bolts up just fine lol Most SS parts will bolt on exactly. There is a thread in the owners lounge sticky called 'SS parts that bolt on to base models' or something like that, check it out if you have any other questions along those lines

As for throttle response, thats kinda iffy. I am trifecta tuned and I noticed a little better response. But they also sell things called 'pedal boxes' I believe. These make it so you can custom tune your throttle response. I don't know of anyone who's got one on their cobalt tho, but I'm sure its been done.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

as for rust, I dunno. I never had to deal with any yet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement