Ambient Light Sensor Replacement - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Ambient Light Sensor Replacement

I need to replace the ambient light sensor does it come out from the top of the dash or do I need to remove the instrument cluster?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I've never heard of one going bad, are you sure it's the sensor? I'll look it up on the GM server and get back to this thread.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 05-31-2016 at 04:32 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

In the bright Florida sunshine my headlights stay on all of the time in auto . If I tap on the sensor the head lights will go out, then I covered the sensor and they came back on as they should but they will not go out when uncovered. That is why I assumed it was the sensor or a loose wire attached to the sensor..
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 06:52 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
If you tap it and it works, I'd be more willing to blame the connection than the sensor.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Plus the way it works, it doesn't react right away. It has a bit of a hysteresis curve otherwise lights would come on and off every time you would hit a shadowed area. There's about a 40 second delay. Also if the lights were on when you last shut it off at night and you turn your car on in the morning in full daylight the lights will come on and stay on for about 40 seconds until your car is sure you're actually in daylight and not in a lit parking garage. Kinda neat actually.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Either the connection or sensor I still need to access the plug end so I ordered a new one just in case, less then 10 bucks for AC Delco. I did take the time delay into affect when I did my testing , Will update this once I get access this weekend .

Thanks again this site has been great for the few issues I have had with this car currently at 118,000 miles.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Replacing the sensor corrected the problem, I only had to remove the drivers side window garnish trim and lift up the grill to access the connection. The old sensor broke apart when I twisted it to unlock from the grill. the wiring connection was clean and tight.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 09:35 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Wow! That is really surprising that the sensor was the culprit, though honestly, anything can happen - and it did. I just replaced a wheel bearing making a noise that nobody would ever think was caused by that.

Glad to hear you fixed it. Must've been the sun baking it over and over - I touched the plastic dome light cover in my '81 Camaro, which has sat in the LA sun all it's life, and it literally just shattered.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode