Car is SHAKING!! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Car is SHAKING!!

I just had my struts/shocks put on all 4...it is still shaking as though I did nothing. I did find a small dent in my right front rim and I'm sure it needs an alignment but this sounds different. The steering wheel shakes and it sounds like something under the hood is loose. I checked the axles and both are fine. Anyone have any idea's? Hope I'm doing this correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

BTW. It's a 2006 Cobalt LS with 126000 miles on it. That shaking and knocking is scaring me. Could my transmission be coming loose or could it be the steering colum?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Shaking when driving or braking? If you noticed a bent rim maybe you knocked off balancing weights on that wheel. Bring it to a tire shop and have them spin it on the balancer, they will be able to tell if your rim is too badly bent out of shape or if the tire is out of balance.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Expert

Garage
Yup, basically what Coby said. Get it aligned and balanced to see if that fixes it. In the mean time, could you post a picture of this dent? If it's severe, then it might be contributing to the shaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Shocks & Struts wouldn't likely cause the shaking - the shaking is rotation-caused - so more than likely wheel weights, as mentioned above.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Also you are seeing the bent part of the outside of the rim, who's to say what it looks like inside the rim. Plus if you hit a pothole hard enough to bend the rim you may also have broken belts in the tire structure which could also cause shaking and vibrations.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks guys!! I thought about it all night. I tightened some bolts but do know I have a rim bent rim and I'm sure I need my tires balanced and an alignment!! This place is a blessing!! Again thank you ALL!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Expert

Garage
If you get a chance to post a picture of that bent rim, we might be able to tell whether or not that'd cause the shaking.

Just in case you don't know how, I like to upload my images to imgur.com, then use the direct link to the image and put it in the IMG tag like this:
Code:
[ IMG ]http://imgur.com/ImageUrl.jpg[/ IMG ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Newcomer

How are your tires ? If the tires have no thread the car will shake. We had that problem with our 2008 chevy cobalt and as soon as we changed the tires (all 4- all used tires with good thread) that shaking minimized considerably- almost a smooth ride- but we need to do an alignment.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 11:33 AM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I've had some rims with what seemed like really minor bends/dents in them shake like fricken crazy. It doesnt take much lol

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode