need some advice- are these problems? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

need some advice- are these problems?

hey guys I bought an 08 LT at the end of 07, I traded in (ie gave them) a 2001 alero 2.4 with 182,000 miles :o and i need some insight on some issues i'm having and want to know if you think they are "deal with it" or go back to the dealer kind of things:

1. first and foremost my mileage sucks. I'm not a leadfoot, i have no mods, and don't pretend to think i'm driving a performance car. my mixed city highway driving has never been above 25 mpg, around town never above 22-24, and straight highway 26-27, the last tank i put in my alero i was still getting 27 around town.

2. the car squeaks like a mother! I can't tell if it's the steelies or the suspensions but on these fine PA roads something is creakin'

3. rear doors take 2-3 attempts to shut they will latch on the first close but never all the way, I either have to throw my weight into it to fully latch it or open and close it again.

4. water in the trunk. not like what others have reported but I noticed it when i had paperwork in the trunk and the day after a rain it felt like all the trunk carpet was more than damp and my paper work was ruined.

5. none of the window seals stay put, i noticed it when i bought it, and they pushed them back in but to me it looks like they are too small, and they are always popping out.

what do you guys think?

thanks!

SQ system
H/U: Pioneer Premier 880
Front stage: Zapco Reference components
Low End: Image Dynamics
Power by Zapco DC Reference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Veteran

to solve the gas mileage problem get a cat back exhaust or for less money custom made exhaust system,makes the car breathe better in my view,it will help out on gas mileage,thats what I did with my old 1999 Nissan Altima.As for the other things I don't have that problem,I drive a 06 LT,I just think you got a bad cobalt from the dealer,should tell them to fix it or even better demand a new cobalt lt,and they should feel guilty and make them put a sunroof in at no charge:P you can only wish right?

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
Custom 2.5" dynomax exhaust system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
stainless steel pacesetter header
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

sunroof would be nice the biggest regret is not getting the cruise control. never realized how much i used it in my previous cars! I do want to do the exhaust and a intake, but i'll hold off till i get this stuff figured out.

thanks!

SQ system
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Veteran

yeah,I have cruise control on my vehicle also audio controls its nice.but honestly getting header and a exhaust system will help out even a intake system to,I am sure you have a warranty though on the vehicle 100k miles or whatever.Me I got screwed on the 100k mile warranty mine only went up to 36k mile warranty.but thats ok though I don't need to go to the dealer for shit,since I know or my brother knows how to do the work on cars,for less money:P

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold

Last edited by burzumaske20; 03-11-2008 at 10:02 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Contributor

you only get 100k mile warranty for powertrain, and 36k for bumper to bumper, there is NO 100k warranty for bumper to bumper just powertrain
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Veteran

oh ok,wasn't to sure about the whole warranty thing honestly,so I take it a O2 sensor can count for the 100k eh?

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpik View Post
hey guys I bought an 08 LT at the end of 07, I traded in (ie gave them) a 2001 alero 2.4 with 182,000 miles :o and i need some insight on some issues i'm having and want to know if you think they are "deal with it" or go back to the dealer kind of things:

1. first and foremost my mileage sucks. I'm not a leadfoot, i have no mods, and don't pretend to think i'm driving a performance car. my mixed city highway driving has never been above 25 mpg, around town never above 22-24, and straight highway 26-27, the last tank i put in my alero i was still getting 27 around town.
Thats a problem, I never get less then 28 MPG unless I have just reset the DIC and floored it. On the higway I get 42 MPG with a tailwind, that needs to be addressed

Quote:
2. the car squeaks like a mother! I can't tell if it's the steelies or the suspensions but on these fine PA roads something is creakin'
Do you have bolt on wheel covers? The 4 bolt design make significant noise and is a common problem

Quote:
3. rear doors take 2-3 attempts to shut they will latch on the first close but never all the way, I either have to throw my weight into it to fully latch it or open and close it again.

4. water in the trunk. not like what others have reported but I noticed it when i had paperwork in the trunk and the day after a rain it felt like all the trunk carpet was more than damp and my paper work was ruined.

5. none of the window seals stay put, i noticed it when i bought it, and they pushed them back in but to me it looks like they are too small, and they are always popping out.

what do you guys think?

thanks!
All problems like #1, things that should be addressed by your dealer.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

thanks monte.

I am taking it in on friday so we'll see how it goes, i gave them my laundry list today along with a new one--I have an auto and the gear shift sounds and feels like someone dumped a soda into it, shifting from P, R, N, D sticks/feels sticky

i do have the covers, this is the first car i haven't had rims on, i thought it might be the covers

SQ system
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Veteran

I get between 24 and 25 MPG and have never gotten more than 27 on the freeway.
My suspension groans like an old man on a bump.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
thanks monte.

I am taking it in on friday so we'll see how it goes, i gave them my laundry list today along with a new one--I have an auto and the gear shift sounds and feels like someone dumped a soda into it, shifting from P, R, N, D sticks/feels sticky

i do have the covers, this is the first car i haven't had rims on, i thought it might be the covers
AH I have a manual trans so the mileage comparison is going to be skewed in my favor. Thats probably normal for an auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode