Went to the Track for the First Time ! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Went to the Track for the First Time !

Hey guys !

Just went to the track for the first time with my Cobalt :D it's nearly stock, so nothing fancy there (just a CAI). I had a blast nonetheless !

Lots of understeering, I need to gauge my throttle better I guess.

Link to the video:

Sorry for the music, but it's way better listening to that than to me and my friend babbling in the car haha

Album of the photos I took at the Cars & Coffee: ICAR circuit Cars & Coffee - July 11th 2016 - Album on Imgur

Can't wait to beat my time with more mods and better technique !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The car is going to oversteer like hell without a grippy tire up front and a big rear swaybar.

Even with my Powell Hardcore bar out back - if I'm running my steelies and 195 all-seasons, the front tires will lose grip almost instantly and plow through a turn - even more terrifying when the tail is already out from the swaybar causing intended oversteer.

With my ZIIs on, the front sticks, and the rear rotates in a controlled fashion.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I'm running new Bridgestone Potenza all around, so I think it helped me quite a lot. The car understeers like hell though. Every time I touch the throttle in a turn my car just screams and glide towards the outside of the turn haha
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Say What again!

Garage
What Potenzas - I had Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions, which were the best all season you could get in a 195/60R15 - but even if I had summer tires, that skinny/tall of a tire isn't going to do anything else but roll over and slide.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Potenza GO19 205/55R16
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Yeah, that's still a relatively mild (all-season) and tall tire. Put a good summer tire on there, and that will help tremendously - as will shocks/struts/springs and a rear sway bar.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Before fitting better tires, I just want to find the SS/TC rims because they look awesome ! But it's near impossible to find a set :(
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Yeah, you'll need an 18 anyway. 16s require too tall of a sidewall.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Any idea for rims that resemble the stock SS/TC ones ?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Say What again!

Garage
I can't say I have seen any that do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode