Cold Air Intake suggestions, please! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Cold Air Intake suggestions, please!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of Cold Air Intake to put into an LS model? I want to start that before April, and I am not sure where to go or what to buy...also, will it mess with my dealer warranty? I've had people tell me it does because it's an engine mod, but I've had others tell me it won't affect anything. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated

shannonZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Admin

Garage
You will be fine performance wise installing one .. but a picky dealer will give you problems with your warranty should anything engine related happen to your Cobalt ..
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

^^ Correct.

IMO get a SRI (Short ram intake) like Injen or KNN then its only a 15 minute job to swap it back out before warranty work.

The injen intake can be converted to SRI or CAI so thats conveniant.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Veteran

Getting an SRI almost entirely defeats the purpose of spending the money on an intake. You will get more noise, that's it. Don't waste your money. Get a CAI or nothing.

As for warranty you have to pay to play. Maybe your dealer will be ok with it maybe not. On an intake it's a dealership decision.

Repopulating yourcobalt.com one post at a time.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

^^ The difference isn't even noticable between a CIA and a SRI. I have a friend that ran his INJEN at SRI for a few months and then switched it to CAI. Neither of us could tell a difference

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to blkbalt06
in most situations the dealer would have to prove that your intake caused the problem. i had my car at the dealer for warranty work with my intake installed. they didnt even say a word about it. this is when i had my LS and the ignition module shorted out.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daman View Post
^^ The difference isn't even noticable between a CIA and a SRI. I have a friend that ran his INJEN at SRI for a few months and then switched it to CAI. Neither of us could tell a difference
Can you tell the difference between stock and an SRI? no, it's just extra noise and not enough umph on the butt dyno to matter there. However if you put it on a real dyno you will see a difference. Colder air = more horsepower. PERIOD, that's an undeniable fact and if you get the intake inlet out of the engine bay you will get colder air into the engine. It's not rocket science.

There is no viable excuse to get an SRI over a CAI.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Veteran

I have the K&N air intake system and it is worth the money specially since its a lifetime warranty if something goes wrong,As other companies won't give you lifetime warranty,plus go with something that has been around for many years,also the dyno tests are proven by K&N not like other companies who throw just numbers at you.Its your choice on what you want,people have different opinions either way,but just check out other companies and see if they have a dyno chart for the intake systems.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
Custom 2.5" dynomax exhaust system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
stainless steel pacesetter header
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold

Last edited by burzumaske20; 03-25-2008 at 03:04 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burzumaske20 View Post
I have the K&N air intake system and it is worth the money specially since its a lifetime warranty if something goes wrong,As other companies won't give you lifetime warranty,plus go with something that has been around for many years,also the dyno tests are proven by K&N not like other companies who throw just numbers at you.Its your choice on what you want,people have different opinions either way,but just check out other companies and see if they have a dyno chart for the intake systems.
most companies have dyno results posted in various places. The problem is often times those dyno results are slightly doctored with mods they don't tell you about or some good old trickeration. You're going to get 1-5hp out of an intake as a rule of thumb. Any more is pretty unrealistic to expect.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to jay DuB
if you want to get an intake def go with a CAI but just remember that an intake is not so much of a power giver as it is a power freer.. It just helps the engine breathe which allows the engine to tap into that hidden performance that was restricted by that stock BUll****...
K&N is a good brand to go by or INJEN

Progress lowering springs, Dual LED halo headlights, led foglights, blacked out bowties, K&N CAI, ARk cat-back exhaust, DC Sports strut bar, Tints, drilled slotted zinc coated rotors, ceramic brakes, blue led rear liscence plate light, Blue led blinkers, Racing header

Future mods- SS body kit, bigger fuel injectors, Pulstar spark plugs, mesh top and bottom grille, swap my radio for SS radio setup, black 18' SS rims, SUpercharger and the accompanying toys, tune ecu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode