Need Your Input, Please - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Need Your Input, Please

I am having intermittent problems with my '07 Cobalt which has less than 60,000 miles on it. Car won't start sometimes unless I turn the key to ACC a few times for ten minutes or so and then it will start. Twice I parked my car at work, removed the key and the car kept running. Northing I tried would help until I drove it around for a bit and then it would turn off. My brother removed the fuses under the hood and put them back in and I didn't have any problems for a month and then today my car wouldn't start again. My son says I should get a new car and I can't/don't want to do that yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:45 PM
Expert

Garage
Problems and Service - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts

Any check engine light or codes that you can get read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Sounds like you may have a bad ignition switch. Was the recall done?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Recall was done. Should I get the ignition switch replaced again? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Check engine light recently came on. Car showed one code, sensor after catalytic converter needs replaced.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 AM
Expert

Garage
That particular code shouldn't keep it from starting, but it's also an inexpensive and easy fix to replace the O2 sensor, so you should think about doing that yourself. Any other codes, or was that the only one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Only code and it came months after I had the other problems. Thanks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well the dealer would not have changed the switch, just the ignition barrel. One guy on here said he had the same problem and in his case changing the ignition switch worked for him. The switch is on the end of the ignition barrel. Easy to replace.
jodeutsch likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

That's interesting. I was under the assumption the first recall was the ignition switch and then later they added the barrel to it. I just read 2005-2007 Cobal's ignition switch was recalled in 2014 (long after I had "whatever" done). I'm really confused now. I could have sworn my ignition switch was replaced and I know I got a new key at the time. I'm pretty sure I have the original paperwork but can't access it right now since I am at work.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I have every receipt except the recall work! Thanks for your help Coby. Much appreciated!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Need help again. So frustrated. I had the ignition switch replaced while getting my car inspected. My 07 cobalt (58,000 miles) seemed fine afterwards. It sat over the weekend and when I went to start it for work yesterday......same issues. Could start it after a bit with turning key to acc for 10 minutes a few times. When I got to work, turned the key off and pulled it out and my car kept running. I called a different dealer and they are talking about replacing the ignition barrel. I need your input about what is really the problem and what needs to be done. I'm sure the dealers have dealt with this problem many times I would think?? I'm not going back to that dealer because they lied to me about several things and they charged me more than I make in a month. I should have walked out before they worked on my car but was desperate to get the car repaired before winter. I also had the oxygen sensor replaced even though the check engine light never came on again. That was probably a fluke due to the intermittent electrical problems. (Female who knows nothing about cars and don't want to be a PITA to my son or brothers who have very busy lives). Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Last edited by jodeutsch; 09-19-2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added info about oxygen sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode