New on the Block w/ problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

New on the Block w/ problem

Good Day!

My daughter has just bought a 2006 Cobalt LS.
I don't know much about the car at this point but I do know the best place for information is Forums.

She has a problem right off the starting line. When she unlocks the doors ( pwr door locks ) the horn starts to beep and gets louder, untill she gets in and turns the car on. I am assuming that it has some sort of factory alarm.

Has anyone delt with this problem and could give me any advice on where to begin to fix this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Forum Regular

Understand this first without diagnosing the offending car in question I can only guess. If the vehicle is equipped with a factory alarm then it could be a few things and a dealer should be able to diagnose the vehicle. If its got an aftermarket alarm like viper or some other junk get that removed as soon as possible.

2006 LS coupe, manual, Victory Red
Sportlines, FE5 struts, shocks, front swaybar, Progressive 22mm rear swaybar, Airlift load assist rear airbags, TWM ST shifter, smoothed TB, LSJ exhaust, debadged, demudflapped, Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's. Soon to come 17x7 Motegi Tracklight 1.0. Best to date 15.402 at 90mph

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecarloman View Post
Understand this first without diagnosing the offending car in question I can only guess. If the vehicle is equipped with a factory alarm then it could be a few things and a dealer should be able to diagnose the vehicle. If its got an aftermarket alarm like viper or some other junk get that removed as soon as possible.
It seams to be a factory alarm, ( she just got the car used yesterday, no owners manual ) I am not one to take any vehicle to the dealer, have not found a dealer I can trust. I am a mechanic, and have several programs and readers for cars. I have the Auto Enginuity program on a laptop as well ( but don't have the chevy enhanced).
What I am looking for is any information and if anyone has experienced this problem. And a starting point. Or just something that could be simple to fix. ( for example my VW has the same problem at times but in the VW fourm I have found lubricating a switch fixes the problem.)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to xxcooljay23xxg5
Really seems like something is actually wrong with the alarm itself. If you picked up any type of warranty from the used dealer, i suggest using it now. Its what its for. But it seems like its getting power to make the noise. So im guessing its not any fuses?

Cooljay's Black 2007 Pontiac G5 Base AkA Black Knight
Injen CAI, DC Sports Catback, Interior Trim painted red, 3 Gauge A pillar, Eibach Pro Springs, SS High Rise Wing with CF Center, Painted Rear Drums and Front Calipers, MSW Type 11's 17x7's On Kumho's.

To come: DC Sports Strut tower bar, Body Kit, CF Hood, Turbo, Halo Headlights, 17inc Foraged Rims, Front drilled and Slotted Rotors, SS Struts, Comp. Kickers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcooljay23xxg5 View Post
Really seems like something is actually wrong with the alarm itself. If you picked up any type of warranty from the used dealer, i suggest using it now. Its what its for. But it seems like its getting power to make the noise. So im guessing its not any fuses?
I will have her check if there is any warrenty on the car but I don't think it does. She got it from a small local shop that sells used cars as well. It isn't even a good shop. But kids don't listen. It seams like a very nice car though, just this is driving her nuts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Newcomer

I'm just gonna throw this idea out, i could be completely wrong but it popped into my head. its sounds like the anti theft is stuck on. i was wondering if she got a keyless entry remote with it, i'm guessing not, but my theory is the anti theft is stuck on cause its not getting shut off with the key fob. Once again i could be completely wrong but it was a thought i had.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Veteran

Did she come with a keyless remote?If not you have to go to the dealer and get one for 30 or 40 dollars,usually when you lock the door on the inside and you go to open the door then the alarm goes off,the way you can solve the problem is to get a keyless entry remote or if she doesn't want to pay the 30 dollars or so she would have to reach over to unlock the lock the door then,with out hitting the door lock for the power lock then.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
Custom 2.5" dynomax exhaust system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
stainless steel pacesetter header
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement