New 2008 LT - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

New 2008 LT

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum. I just got a brand new 2008 Cobalt 2 door LT about 2 weeks ago. I love the car. It drives great (as I'm sure all you coablt owners are aware.) I got it with the 2.2L and its got a little pep to it. I want to start doing some things to it to get it up to par. I was just wondering if you guys could shoot me some suggestions for the following things I want to do. I apologize if the below questions have been asked already. I've been searching the net for the past week looking for info on upgraded 08's and havent found much. Thanks in advance and happy motoring.

New wheels! Steel and hubs just dont work for me. If I go to 16 inches will that void my warranty? If not, could someone give me suggestions on affordable yet decent performance tires? 15 inch or 16 inch.

Non warranty voiding performance upgrades. Are there any? I know I could get an intake and pull it off before I go to the dealer if I had to, but are there any that dont?

Lastly, a new exhaust. I want a system for power and decent sound. I would like to avoid the fart can sound and go for something deep. Suggestions/sound clips and vids?

Again thanks.

Here's my car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Newcomer

Congrats on the new car. I just got mine this past February. A few visual things that look good is debadge the car, remove the gm fender badges and the chevy emblem on rear as well as cobalt badging and possibly dealer badges if you have them. Paint the front chevy grill emblem. I dont think rims will void the warranty, keep the stock tires though, incase you dont want to take any chances so you can swap em out real quick before it would have to have work performed. If you need any sites to find parts, you can go to ************* and click on the links to alot of sites on the left side of the page. As for exhaust, Im sure some other people will tune in and give some advice on what is good.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks I appreciate the help. Im waiting for some people to chime in on the exhausts and CAI's
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to bshep20
GM makes performance parts specifically for the cobalt that won't void your warranty such as the GMPP Performance Intake and Performance Exhaust etc... You can buy those straight off the dealer and they'll install them for you. Just to make sure, if you look into the intake, make sure your car doesn't have the SAI (
Secondary Air Injection) hose going into your stock airbox. If you do, they won't install the GMPP Intake cuz of it throwing a CEL. It is a rubber hose maybe an inch or so in diameter going into the top of your airbox. I ordered their intake thru the dealer and went in for the installation and they couldn't do it because of that second hose. Just a heads up!!! And yeah, debadging is also a good cheap visual mod and is pretty easy to do and makes a world of difference
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

What if I do have that? Can I remove it then do it?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
wow, the pic through me off, guess the '08 LT is the base one now, used to be an upgraded model before. Wheels should not void your warranty, heck, your dealer carries wheels to upgrade too and what not but they are expensive. Check out Tire rack or Discount Tire, they have some nice wheels. When I had my '07 LS I got MB 5-spoke wheels that were black w/ chrome lip and Yokohama tires. I went w/ 16's to avoid the speedo from getting off by much, the handling(from the tires) alone made the upgrade worth the 650 it cost for the tires, wheels were cheap(discount at the time, got them for under 400.

If you have the SAI or whatever there are intakes w/ that in mind, cannot remember the type, I think it was K&N.

Intake and exhaust are the best upgrades to start w/ imo.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dantastic Send a message via Skype™ to dantastic
Dont DeBadge, Represent your love for Chevy, stick with the bowtie in the rear, these cars need some bling. Wheels I do 16 inch and lower it, but lowering may avoid suspenion warranty. I agree with an CAI and Exhaust are yet the best upgrade to start out with and then force induction but were talking WARRANTY DESTROYER there. Just stick with wheels and such! Oh and you can upgrade to new headlights (projectors).

[email protected]@STIC-Always in the lead, sending import lovers back to there mommy!

2005 Chevy Cobalt Sedan Victory Red. AEM Cold Air Intake, 15% tint, 20% tint, 12v 170 W xenon/halogen headlight bulbs, decals!

Cars I have owned and are in the bone yard:
1976 Chrysler Cordoba $1,100
1984 Honda Accord $100.00
1986 Chevy Spectrum $200.00
1989 Chevy Beretta $250.00
2004 Chevy Aveo $10,000 (traded in)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks guys I appreciate that. And actually the LS is still lower than this. They come with nothing on them at all. This looks a hell of a lot better than the new LS. It came with 15 inchers so I wanna see about getting either the same size and good tires or 16's with better tires. If you guys could hook me up with a link for the CAI, that would be great. Im probably gonna stop buy the dealer tomorrow and see what they have. The guy who sold me the car is a kid and really down to earth. I told him about the wheels and parts and stuff and hes gonna find out what exactly voids the warranty and what doesnt and such. But seriously hook me up with some links dudes. Much appreciated.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Just stopped in at the dealership. From what I take it, if i Get aftermarket wheels and tires I just have no more coverage on my tires and wheels. DUHHH! So I'm gonna start looking to see what I can find.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantastic View Post
Dont DeBadge, Represent your love for Chevy, stick with the bowtie in the rear, these cars need some bling. Wheels I do 16 inch and lower it, but lowering may avoid suspenion warranty. I agree with an CAI and Exhaust are yet the best upgrade to start out with and then force induction but were talking WARRANTY DESTROYER there. Just stick with wheels and such! Oh and you can upgrade to new headlights (projectors).
All engine modifications that dont come from the manufacturer specifically for your vehicle are "warranty destroyers" (as far as im aware). Also, there are no levels of voiding a warranty, there isnt hurting a warranty and outright killing it. You either have it or you dont.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode