New Cobalt Guy with Several Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

New Cobalt Guy with Several Questions

Not sure what category to place this in since new member and I have several questions within different categories........so here goes.

New to Cobalt but am a die-heart Chevy/GM guy. Not a mechanic by trade but done my share of pulling/replacing engines/tranny's, engine rebuilds, auto painting and maintenance/repair.

I bought a yellow (favorite color) 06 LT coupe with 2.2 and auto tranny in December 2016, which I now have put over 4,000 miles on. So for the questions.......

- This morning on the way to work after hitting a (pretty good) bump in the road, the T/C and ABS lights both came on in the DIC. Turned the car off for several minutes. Started back up and the lights were off. When I get home tonight I hook up the OBD-II scanner and see if there are any stored codes. Any ideas or common problems?

- Auto tranny. I remember when replacing the engine in my daughters 2001 Caviler Z24 that there was no dipstick but rather a red screw plug hidden under some engine bay accessories. Looks to be the same scenario here. What is the proper way to determine the fluid level?

- I had a little vibration which seemed to be coming from the front. I had the rotors turned down and the wheels re-balanced. I also replaced the steering shaft. (What a pain in the tail that was since the old one wouldn't collapse.) Seemed to take a lot of the vibration away. I had the front up on jack stands and decided to put the e-brake on and run it in drive to see if the wheels were bent. They were okay. However, when I tried to restart the car after this, it would start and die immediately. Then would restart again with no issues. Went through this cycle about a day or so. Starts okay now. Should I be concerned about anything here?

- Any issues known when disconnecting the battery? I know that disconnecting the battery on my wife's 07 Trail Blazer messed up one of the HVAC actuators.

- Last but not least........ How do I post an avatar? I have a jpeg file on my computer less than the maximum file size and dimensions allowed, but will not upload.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTiger View Post
- This morning on the way to work after hitting a (pretty good) bump in the road, the T/C and ABS lights both came on in the DIC. Turned the car off for several minutes. Started back up and the lights were off. When I get home tonight I hook up the OBD-II scanner and see if there are any stored codes. Any ideas or common problems?
You will probably only find a ''U'' code which is a communication code. First thing to try is re-seating the 2 blue/gray connectors on the BCM and changing the PCM/TCM fuse on the upper left corner of the BCM fuse block even if it isn't burnt. If this does the trick you may want to add a bit of dielectric grease to delay corrosion.

Quote:
- Auto tranny. I remember when replacing the engine in my daughters 2001 Caviler Z24 that there was no dipstick but rather a red screw plug hidden under some engine bay accessories. Looks to be the same scenario here. What is the proper way to determine the fluid level?
Put the car on a hoist at operating temperature while running and remove the plug on passenger side of transmission, fill until oil spills out.

Quote:
- Any issues known when disconnecting the battery? I know that disconnecting the battery on my wife's 07 Trail Blazer messed up one of the HVAC actuators.

- Last but not least........ How do I post an avatar? I have a jpeg file on my computer less than the maximum file size and dimensions allowed, but will not upload.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,
A lot of maintenance procedures require you to disconnect the negative of the battery so should not be a problem and I recommend doing so before you re-seat the BCM plugs. As far as Avatars I believe admin is working on that, some people have had difficulty loading depending on search engine and O/S.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode