Ignition/Computer issues - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Angry Ignition/Computer issues

Hi. I have been driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt for 2 1/2 years that I bought brand new, and up to this point have had no issues with it beyond normal wear and tear.

However, about a week and a half ago I went to the bank and when I went to go turn the car off the key wouldn't go past accessories. I hurried up and did what I needed to do in there, then went across the street to the Chevy dealership. The dealership was closed but a mechanic was still there and said that the key not going past accessories on the ignition switch was a common problem and to take the car back in on Monday. (Of course, since they were closed on a Saturday he couldn't do anything right then and there and by PA state law car dealerships are not allowed to be open on Sundays.) Well, when I got home that day we removed the fuse from right next to the battery so that it wouldn't drain the battery. We thought it worked, since it did turn off my radio. And somehow, the key was able to slide out of the ignition switch with it on accessories.

Well, I went to go leave for work last Sunday, I had put the fuse back in, and the car wouldn't start. After being at work (which I was a half hour late to until I was able to get a ride), the next day with my mom home from work herself she jumped the battery, only to get this message when I went to go start it: "ENGINE POWER REDUCED. ENGINE DISABLED" So in addition to the ignition switch being messed up, I now have computer problems as well.

Now, the warranty is lasped in the car: it has over 58,000 miles. However, it shouldn't be having these problems after not even three years since mileage shouldn't have an influence on the ignition switch and the car's computer. For the past week and a half the car has been sitting in front of my house. (At least its there and not on the side of the road.) Does anyone have any idea what it might cost me to get it fixed if they have been through the same thing before? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

just bumping this up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode