Exhaust for 2.4 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MP81
  • 1 Post By MP81

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exhaust for 2.4

Hey guys, I'm looking at doing a new exhaust for my 06 2.4. Anyone got any ideas what I can do to upgrade? I've been thinking about the 2.5" ZZP catback setup. Only mod I have done is CAI. Looking for something that sounds decent, but not very loud and more so low pitched vs. high pitched. And obviously would like to get a little more power. Also been thinking of doing the ZZP shorty exhaust manifold while I'm at it. Let me know what you all think. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:32 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
A header (and a downpipe, as well - adding just a header won't do much, since it still has to breathe through the restrictive stock downpipe) will be a huge improvement in power - but be warned, it will significantly contribute to exactly the tones you do not want. Getting a catted downpipe will help some, but not remove all the rasp the header will add.

Still, for the power increase, it's worth it. It's an NA 4-cylinder anyway. Another option is (if you have a manual) to use an LSJ manifold/downpipe.

The GMPP Touring has always been a favorite for tone, though I'd imagine a Magnaflow sounds good, too (skip the Magnaflow-branded catback and consider the Mandrel Exhaust Systems catback with Magnaflow or Borla muffler, instead). @Parthros has the ZZP catback, so he can comment on how it sounds.
Parthros likes this.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Expert

Garage
First of all, I've got a full ZZP exhaust (midlength headers & downpipe and catback with resonator & muffler), and I'm very pleased with how it sounds. Having said that, if you want to keep it quiet, you'll probably want a cast iron exhaust manifold, as my headers made the car a bit drone-y on the highway, and definitely noticeably louder. The best compromise between increasing exhaust flow and reasonable noise level would probably be getting an LSJ exhaust manifold, and a ZZP downpipe + catback. If you find yourself preferring a bit more power and don't mind the noise, midlength header & downpipe is a good option.

Just a bit of advice - if you plan on getting a tune, then you might want to contact ZZP before ordering your downpipe and request a 200 cell cat instead of 400 or off road (no cat). If you aren't planning on getting a tune, get the 400 cell cat. Also, definitely get the resonator on the catback.

Finally, you never mentioned whether you had an auto or manual, so I just wanna point out that you'll need to select the appropriate downpipe for your transmission. They're different lengths depending on the transmission.

Product Links:
ZZP Downpipe For LSJ Manifold or Shorty Headers
ZZP Midlength Header & Downpipe
ZZP 2.5" Catback
Current ebay Listing for an LSJ Exhaust Manifold

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Actually, if you go with an LSJ exhaust manifold and downpipe + ZZP catback, this is pretty much what you can expect:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I have the automatic trans. But the setup I've been looking at says it fits the 2.4. I've never heard of the 2.4 having a manual trans. The video that was posted seemed to sound decent on the car. Doesn't seem too noisey.

Here is the system I've been looking into. It says in the Product Details that it fits the 2.4.

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/exh...k-exhaust.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Say What again!

Garage
The 2.4L was definitely available with a 5-speed.

The catback is the same for all the cars (except the 2.0L Turbo SS/TC, which has a 3-bolt flange at the downpipe), regardless of transmission. The downpipe is what changes, due to the angle the engine sits at (the manual cars have the engine rolled back towards the firewall compared to the automatic cars).
Parthros likes this.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster

Last edited by MP81; 06-27-2017 at 12:08 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So all of this will be best and is all that I need? Just want to make sure. I was unsure whether the manifold would work for my vehicle, which has the auto trans.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/263021711738

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/exh...k-exhaust.html

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/exh...-downpipe.html

Last edited by Rholms24; 06-29-2017 at 02:14 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 05:39 AM
Say What again!

Garage
The manifold will fit regardless of transmission - the difference is made up in the downpipe, so all of that will work perfectly for you!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Cool thanks! Any suggestions as far as intake manifolds go?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Say What again!

Garage
As far as intake manifolds, you basically have the one to get, since you have a 2.4L (the 2.4L manifold is a common upgrade to L61 2.2Ls). The most you could do is upgrade to an LSJ throttle body - but that will require a tune.

If you're speaking of the air intakes, seems like K&N, AEM, Injen, ZZP all seem to be good choices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode