Suggestions needed - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Suggestions needed

Hey again,

OK, I am sure you are all tired of reading about my Cobalt ;)

I have 4 things I would like to do to the car ASAP, but want your expert opinions and advice before proceeding.

In order:

1) Tint all lights. I don't see any issues here.
2) Drop car. I am ready and eager to do this, but with less than 1,000 miles, should I wait a bit? Any warranty issues?
3) Wheels. I really like the look of the "open" rims with exposed, painted calipers. But, my LT has rear drums. Any photos of an open style wheel with rear drum brakes? What do you suggest in the way of wheels? (The car is a 2009 LT 2-door, Silver Ice Metallic). Should I go larger diameter? (15" is stock)
4) CAI. I will eventually turbo the car, but will wait until close to the end of the warranty. I see GM has a CAI and Cat-Back, but the prices are up there pretty high. There products won't void warranty though. Should I wait?

Thanks in advance for your input...

2009 Cobalt LT
2-door Coupe
5-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Newcomer

1) Tint all lights. I don't see any issues here.

cops could possiably give you ticket depending how dark and local laws

2) Drop car. I am ready and eager to do this, but with less than 1,000 miles, should I wait a bit? Any warranty issues?

No need to wait, say you out springs and a strut blows they will NOT cover it, but a dealship must prove something in order for you not to recieve warranty

BTW you will need alginment afterwards

3) Wheels. I really like the look of the "open" rims with exposed, painted calipers. But, my LT has rear drums. Any photos of an open style wheel with rear drum brakes? What do you suggest in the way of wheels? (The car is a 2009 LT 2-door, Silver Ice Metallic). Should I go larger diameter? (15" is stock)

Go with 17" or 18" biggest, with a 40 profile tire, make sure you drop your car first or it will look like a monster truck

4) CAI. I will eventually turbo the car, but will wait until close to the end of the warranty. I see GM has a CAI and Cat-Back, but the prices are up there pretty high. There products won't void warranty though. Should I wait?

Turbo is great, currently there is no tuning for your car. GMPP has a SRI not CAI, i think its overpriced but nice. the catback i would pefer the performance over touring GMPP one. There products will not void warranty long as dealer installs them

2008 Cobalt 1LT Victory Red
MODS: B&M Shift+ Stage 2, "JDM" Cold Air Intake, Zenn Springs, and FE5 struts, Polished Valve Cover (By me), Resonator Removed. 5% Back 25% Front Tint, Painted dash trim, 4300 Silverstars, some weight loss
COMING SOON:17x7 Black new rims wrapped in Kumos
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

are you asking what you should do first? or just asking for approval?

i would say drop it first. thatll set you up for rims in the future.

if youre planning on going turbo or sc, then dont bother with a cai, itll be a waste of money.

as for tinting your lights i think you should hold off and tint your windows first. also, imho, smoked lights look better than all black, especially on the silver. just my .02
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gibsonj4
If ur gonna go turbo even down the road and ur serious, dont buy a cai or a catback because u wont use the cai and the catback will prolly be to narrow (2.25) u will prolly wanna run 3 inch turbo exaust.

2V Mustang GT - Cammed/Sprayed - The "Mustake" - Sold
2010 Cobalt 2LT - SOLD!
Chrysler 300C Hemi K&N & Tune
2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged - E85 TVS 2.9 - SOLD!
2001 Corvette C5 6MT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments...

I will hold off on motor mods for a bit. It looks like window tint and lowering are the first order of business.

Thank you...

2009 Cobalt LT
2-door Coupe
5-speed
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gibsonj4
No problem just don't want u to waste money if ur gonna run FI.

2V Mustang GT - Cammed/Sprayed - The "Mustake" - Sold
2010 Cobalt 2LT - SOLD!
Chrysler 300C Hemi K&N & Tune
2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged - E85 TVS 2.9 - SOLD!
2001 Corvette C5 6MT
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Newcomer

Welcome

2008 Cobalt 1LT Victory Red
MODS: B&M Shift+ Stage 2, "JDM" Cold Air Intake, Zenn Springs, and FE5 struts, Polished Valve Cover (By me), Resonator Removed. 5% Back 25% Front Tint, Painted dash trim, 4300 Silverstars, some weight loss
COMING SOON:17x7 Black new rims wrapped in Kumos
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Forum Regular

messing with suspension, intake and rims are all risky for the warranty, if you want to put an intake on the gmpp, lowering and rims obviosly have affect on chassis componants, wheel bearings, ball joints sway bar's links. Its really all up to the dicrestion of the service writers i was talking with my buddy in service at the chevy dealership i got to. he told me he rejected a guys warranty cause he had aftermarket pedal covers and it wasn't allowing the cluth to engage fully causing it to wear excessivly but its all up to them, it never hurts to ask

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer1341 View Post
messing with suspension, intake and rims are all risky for the warranty, if you want to put an intake on the gmpp, lowering and rims obviosly have affect on chassis componants, wheel bearings, ball joints sway bar's links. Its really all up to the dicrestion of the service writers i was talking with my buddy in service at the chevy dealership i got to. he told me he rejected a guys warranty cause he had aftermarket pedal covers and it wasn't allowing the cluth to engage fully causing it to wear excessivly but its all up to them, it never hurts to ask
that is the first time i have honestly heard of that, and i run around all the time with pedal covers..........weird

Cobaltkrazy: Turning aftermarket parts to dust, since 2006!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakdOut07LT View Post
ill be the DRUNKEST mofo there btw can someone keep an eye on my kid while i go get another beer?
How to post pics:
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...tml#post169806
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to cobaltTC05
rims and drop it, thats what i would do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode