Mod's with Most Bang for Buck - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

3Likes
  • 2 Post By 1966tbird
  • 1 Post By MP81

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Mod's with Most Bang for Buck

What's some things I could do to my cobalt that would give me the most bang for my buck as far as performance or looks go? I know I could easily do headlights but I can't find any I like (I'm not a big fan of how cheap halo's look), and I don't want to do rims because I just bought 4 new tires when I bought the car two months ago. What would you guys recommend I do to get the most out of the "cobalt experience"?

2007 Cobalt Coupe LT3 --130,000mls-- black bowties SOLD
2015 Chevy Cruze -- 35,000mls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 12:34 AM
Contributor

1: Stock ACDelco FE5 shocks & Struts and FE5 front swaybar with the shorter swaybar end links......
2: Stock FE5 springs front & back if you wan ~1/2" lower ride.

Replacement front & rear speakers ~$20/pair
And change your recirculating freash air filter
MP81 and theseabass like this.

BC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:43 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
For headlights, you could simply paint the buckets black. That's extremely cheap, since you bake the headlight to soften the adhesive, pull the lenses off, remove the buckets, paint them, reassemble, re-bake, reinstall lenses and boom - dirt cheap, easy and a great upgrade in the looks department. If you want to go the extra mile, you can do a projector retrofit and run HIDs.

As @1966tbird mentioned, '08+ FE5 struts/shocks, swaybar and springs are an exceptional upgrade, and cost hardly anything because they're OEM parts.
theseabass likes this.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966tbird View Post
1: Stock ACDelco FE5 shocks & Struts and FE5 front swaybar with the shorter swaybar end links......
2: Stock FE5 springs front & back if you wan ~1/2" lower ride.

Replacement front & rear speakers ~$20/pair
And change your recirculating freash air filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
For headlights, you could simply paint the buckets black. That's extremely cheap, since you bake the headlight to soften the adhesive, pull the lenses off, remove the buckets, paint them, reassemble, re-bake, reinstall lenses and boom - dirt cheap, easy and a great upgrade in the looks department. If you want to go the extra mile, you can do a projector retrofit and run HIDs.

As @1966tbird mentioned, '08+ FE5 struts/shocks, swaybar and springs are an exceptional upgrade, and cost hardly anything because they're OEM parts.
I've been looking into the FE5 struts and such and I'm pretty close to committing, however how much harsher is the ride with those compared to stock on an 07 LT3? I live in Arkansas and our roads are pretty terrible and I don't want to be unbearably comfortable.

As far as headlights go, what is the projector retrofit? I really want projectors, I'm just not a fan of the halos on all of the aftermarket ones.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
FE5s do ride firmer than FE1, but not uncomfortably. I live in Michigan, so our roads (especially during winter, or just afterwards) are as bad or even worse, and I drove my Cobalt (I was on lowered SSC springs, but FE5 struts/shocks) through two winters without issue. You'll be good.

The improvement in handling far outweighs the extra firming up of the suspension.

Projector retrofits are ones you install yourself (hence "retrofit"), and most do not come with halos.

TRS is a good place to check them out: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
FE5s do ride firmer than FE1, but not uncomfortably. I live in Michigan, so our roads (especially during winter, or just afterwards) are as bad or even worse, and I drove my Cobalt (I was on lowered SSC springs, but FE5 struts/shocks) through two winters without issue. You'll be good.

The improvement in handling far outweighs the extra firming up of the suspension.

Projector retrofits are ones you install yourself (hence "retrofit"), and most do not come with halos.

TRS is a good place to check them out: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
I'll look into those and try to make sense out of the kits, I'm confused by them at the moment

Also, are ACDELCO 506683/506684 the right parts for the FE5 struts?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseabass View Post
?... are ACDELCO 506683/506684 the right parts for the FE5 struts?
Yes. Dont forget the FE5 ACDelco 560582 shocks to go with the struts.....you can bet your running on the original 100,000 mile old shocks & struts.

And dont forget to change your fresh air cabin filter behind the glove box.

Armed with the part numbers, now you can shop around and get the best deal from such fine shops like, Crate engine, gmpartsxxxxxx dot com or RockAuto, Larry Curley & Moe or A$_$toZone

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 09-29-2017 at 11:39 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Cobalt Master

The best prices are usually either amazon or rockauto. If you go with rockauto don't forget to factor in shipping and the 5% off discount code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode