What is This Issue Now? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coby7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

What is This Issue Now?

today on my 06 lt sedan 2.2 auto i just started the car and got down the road 1/4 mile and the traction control lite came on, then i found out the security light came on then the cluster went dead and the engine start to stumble, i was coming up to a stop light so i put it in neutral so i could keep the revs up just in case. then got the green put in drive and it took off and it had a harsh shift all the way home. so i get in the garage and checked for codes none. so i turned it off and then restarted it and no lites on took it for a ride and it was back to normal. took it later for a ride as i had to go away and normal. kind of think it was having a brain fart. so any ideas or do they just do this now and then. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If it happens again re-seat the BCM connectors a few times. dielectric grease wouldn't hurt. You lost TCM/PCM communication ,...

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

thanks coby7 i will do that anyway. don't quite understand why that would happen being they are all inside and secure under the console. but i will take them out and plug them back in just to make sure they are. any chance the ecu under the hood may have did that? i had that go bad 5 years ago and being it is in the front and the connectors are facing the front that would be the firls place they may fail. maybe i should reseat them as well and re grease. thanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If they apply salt on roads your way and you bring in moisture from outside even inside connectors can corrode. PCM doesn't talk to Cluster directly it does so through the BCM same as it doesn't communicate with the transmission directly it also does this through the BCM. The slow GMlan communication comes in on the BCM is amplified, clipped for nice square waves, reconditioned and sent out to all CPUs including Theft deterrent, instrument panel, radio, RCDLR, TCM, EBCM and all others I forget.
1966tbird likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

that makes sense coby. but unless the salt from our michigan roads gets real air born from the heat . no one rides in the passenger side. but i took the connectors off i think i got them i found 2 of them on the bcm under the console on the fuse side. and i also took off the ecu and whatever the connector is above it and greased them and re seated them. that ecu really is in a bad place being out in front with the connectors pointing to the front. the cover helps for water from the top but does no good for water from the road. anyway i did it and took it for a ride to make sure it would drive before i need it for work. and it seem ok. i will hook up the scanner and see how many monitors i have to reset now that the battery was disconnected for the repair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode