Keyless entry issue + "keys stuck in ignition" problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Keyless entry issue + "keys stuck in ignition" problem

Hello everyone, new member/first post, I'm driving an '06 Cobalt LT with 51k miles. I've done a good deal of research on this and can't seem to find anything so here goes...

It seems that something has failed in my keyless entry system. I've checked and even replaced the battery in my fob and had the system re-programmed by a locksmith and the fob still does nothing.

The strange bit is that while the locksmith was re-programming, the car seemed to acknowledge the signal from the fob. During the step where the car is in "learning mode", the program on his laptop asked for the lock and unlock buttons to be pressed and held until the car beeped to acknowledge that it has learned the signal and it did that. I watched him do it twice and still the fob wouldn't work.

Granted, this is a fob I bought from eBay to replace the one I lost last year, but it's a GM fob and this locksmith did the programming the same way then and it worked fine, until now at least.

Any ideas? Can anyone tell me where the receiver is located in the car? I have a Haynes manual but it doesn't even mention the receiver except in a wiring diagram in the back.

While I'm here, you can mark me down for another driver having the "ignition won't let go of keys" problem. Like many drivers I've seen in my research on this, the problem is in the shifter where the pin that contacts the release switch isn't held in due to a broken internal linkage. My research tends to suggest that GM knows that this is a problem and has re-designed the shifter to fix it. My car is at a little over 51k now so a good deal out of warranty. Any chance I can get a free replacement or am I stuck paying a few hundred for a new part?

Last edited by fsusmithc2; 12-20-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Is this not a very active forum or does nobody have any suggestions for me? I would kinda like to get some other people's input on this before I go waste gobs of money at the dealer.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to IncrediBalt
dude, it's the week of Christmas and a LOT of people are traveling. Give it some time....

White '07 LT coupe with lotsa purple stuff.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Contributor

I'm not rying to be negative, but, your post said in three places you researched the subject. You also mention that you know your car is out of warranty, but you want to know if you can get something for free. There are threads in this forum that cover most of the recall issues. I have found that some issues are 'hot' topics with a lot of owners, some are not. Give it a chance. This forum has people that have great advice.

2007 LT 2.2
MODS:
GMPP Air Intake * GMPP Extrude Honed Manifold * GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust * Vibrant D/P * Jet Stage 2 Module
MOBIL 1 Synthetic Oil * DC Sport Strut Tower Brace * Color Matched Mirror Covers * EuroAntenna * 30-15 3M FX Tinting
Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS on Premium Wheels

Future MODS:
2.4 Intake Manifold Conversion * 2.4 TB * TUNE
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I researched this forum and others to the best of my ability before I started the thread. Had I found what I was looking for, I wouldn't have posted. The reason I said it three times was to make sure people wouldn't harass me for not doing my homework first.

Of course I want something for free. Who wouldn't? My question though was if anyone thought, considering my situation, if it was even possible or what they might do, given the circumstances.

As it stands now, money is a very big issue for me, as I'm sure it is with a lot of people these days, so for the time being, I'm just reaching through the cupholder to trip the switch to get my keys out and manually locking and unlocking the doors.

That is unless anyone has any helpful information to lend a frustrated (with his car, not this forum) Cobalt owner.

As to requesting feedback during the week of Christmas, I apologize if my tone seemed demanding but the issue was bugging me real bad then. Now I'm pretty much just living with it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Forum Regular

i was having the same problem with mine getting the keys stuck in the ignition. its the shift silinoid (sp?) but it costs like 200 bucks to fix or you can fix it yourself the haggard way like i did lol.

if you look at your steering column there is that little grey rubberish square you can take off (toward the bottom left). inside the hole after you take that rubber piece off there is a white button you can push in and that releases the key (its a little hard to find just to let you know).

i got tired of doing that everytime i wanted to get my keys out so i took apart my steering column and zip tied the button down and wrapped some electrical tape around it so the zip tie doesnt slip off.

hope that helps out bro. lemme know if you have any problems
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTTD View Post
i was having the same problem with mine getting the keys stuck in the ignition. its the shift solenoid (sp?) but it costs like 200 bucks to fix or you can fix it yourself the haggard way like i did lol.

if you look at your steering column there is that little grey rubberish square you can take off (toward the bottom left). inside the hole after you take that rubber piece off there is a white button you can push in and that releases the key (its a little hard to find just to let you know).

i got tired of doing that everytime i wanted to get my keys out so i took apart my steering column and zip tied the button down and wrapped some electrical tape around it so the zip tie doesnt slip off.

hope that helps out bro. lemme know if you have any problems
And the method you described about bypassing the key lock is actually illegal in some states and provinces. It's bypassing a safety feature built into the car, and if caught, could net you major fines, even jail time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Forum Regular

really i had no clue seriously.
i am getting it fixed i just lost my job and got no money so its just a quick fix for now.
thanks for letting me know about that tho man
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTTD View Post
really i had no clue seriously.
i am getting it fixed i just lost my job and got no money so its just a quick fix for now.
thanks for letting me know about that tho man
Anytime bro
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I haven't tried the button trick you mentioned but my research did turn that up. I've had the entire shift assembly out of the car and completely torn down so I know exactly what the problem is. It's the plastic linkage inside the shifter itself that the button is connected to. Down below, there is a steel pin that goes through a hole in this linkage. It is this pin, riding on a track, that prevents you from shifting out of certain gears without holding in the button which pushes the linkage holding the pin down and away from the track it rides on. When you position the shifter in park and let go of the button, the pin comes up and makes contact with a switch that signals the lock cylinder to release your keys.

Somehow, the plastic linkage broke right at the hole the pin goes through. Over time, this will cause the pin to not behave correctly and even pop out. I've tried gluing it in and that works for a while but not for long (I even used Gorilla Glue). I'm just afraid that a dealership would try to sell me the entire shift assembly for several hundred dollars instead of offering to replace a known defective part. I went to a local "Pick 'N Pull" lot and happened to find just one Cobalt and it just so happened to be an '06. The shifter was still in the car but was broken in exactly the same way as mine. What are the odds? All was not lost though as I did pick up that car's white-face instrument cluster to replace my standard black one.

Really though, the more annoying and potentially more costly problem is the keyless entry issue I described. I'm afraid there's got to be a problem with the receiver but I don't even know where the receiver is to try and take a look. Anybody know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode