Evap Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Evap Question

i have the 2.2 cobalt and i'm wondering if this car has the evap systems like the chryslers have? i ask because i smell some gas around the car and i don't have any codes for evap. i smell gas around the filler area so very well could be the cap but on my pacifica i get a cod for a bad cap and the cap is new so it must have a leak somewhere but i do not smell gas. so the pacifiac send out a code. the balt i smell gas and no code that is why i'm asking. plus when i did a readiness monitor test the balt had some items x ed out and did not test for them so i'm wondering if it even asked to test them. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If the top of the fuel pump cracks and it leaks gas or fumes from there it will not set a code. At least not at first. Southern states and a recall for this at some point.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
If the top of the fuel pump cracks and it leaks gas or fumes from there it will not set a code. At least not at first. Southern states and a recall for this at some point.
If that happens, would the EVAP purge make the knocking noise still?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

this car is in michigan it's whole life. i looked for a recall and i have had it in for the steering and the ign. and such for those recalls but they never said anything about a fuel pump recall. i guess i can drop the tank and see. but first i may change the cap that is where i could smell the gas. i do not see anything leaking on the floor. but i can smell gas in the garage, at first i thought it may have been the snowblower and the gas can for the blower as that has a spout on it open but when i move the car to different locations i smell gas and it is too coincidental to be other cars all the time so it must be mine. but i get no evap codes that is why i ask. i put the harbor freight scanner on it and some items have a x in the field so i figure that my car does not get tested for those items.

i have to take a drive today so i will hook up the scanner and send the info back here for your evaluation on what is getting tested and not tested and the results i can glean off the test. maybe that will help with what may be going on before i start working on it and spending money for no reason.

plus i do not hear any noises from the car when it is not running if that is for some testing it does when it is off. but then i can't hear good so i may never hear it.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You don't need to take the tank down to check for the cracked fuel pump housing. You can see it with a mirror has the white plastic discolors along the crack seam. The crack will be right along the large locking ring. Or you could bring it in for a smoke test if you have a $100 to spend.

Last edited by Coby7; 02-28-2018 at 08:17 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

coby this is what i found. gas leak #1 the gas line had a rust through after the filter. so this go around i cut out the rusted section and installed rubber gas approved pressure hose and clamps. that was the large gas smell from just being in the garage and around the car. the smell from the gas cap may have been from the vent pipe coming from the top of the canister. if that is open with the key off then it may be normal but as that may be the way the tank is open during refilling to let the gas into the tank without flipping the pump nozzle .

second i did a smoke test. i did not know the test port on the purge valve had a schrader valve in it run the test with my homemade smoker for an hour and did not get any smoke to the gas filler. so then i took off the tee connection at the valve and noticed the schrader valve in there so i just used the opening from the purge valve.

the gas cap was good but i had smoke at that area so i took of the tire and inner fender to find the large pipe from the top of the canister has smoke coming out. the key was off so this may be normal if it is not then i may have to change out the vent valve.
again maybe why i smell gas there

the picture link is the scantool after i ran it this morning. it check i/m ready so the 2 xed out items may not get tested for smog testing. being this system look to me to be a real basic system. but take a look and tell me if it is ok. thanks

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
No link...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
No link...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y3...a5ByjCwF_lIG8T

see if this works. thanks

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Nope ''Drive not found''

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Worked for me - scanner showed a big X next to EVAP

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode