GM Ceremony in Lordstown Marks Start of Chevrolet Cruze Production 9-9-2010 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Chevy Cruze Discussion General Chevy Cruze Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thumbs up GM Ceremony in Lordstown Marks Start of Chevrolet Cruze Production 9-9-2010

excerpt:
GM's Reuss said that Lordstown's success with the Cruze was a personal goal for him. His father, Lloyd Reuss, was chief engineer on the Chevrolet Vega built at the plant in the early 1970s. Reuss said that as a child, he spent several months living in Lordstown-area hotels as his father worked out production problems on that car.

In an interview, Reuss said he was running GM's Australian Holden subsidiary in 2008 when that brand launched the Cruze overseas. Holden had minimal sales in the small car market before the Cruze, Reuss said, but is now a close second to the Corolla.

"The car, in a very mature, fuel-conscious market, is doing well," Reuss said.

GM ceremony in Lordstown marks start of Chevrolet Cruze production | cleveland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well, at least they refrained from talking about how horrible the Cobalt was.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will mpg View Post
Well, at least they refrained from talking about how horrible the Cobalt was.
Indeed. I don't understand how people get off on that.
Mine is the best car I've had yet.

Slammed to the ground, yo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profficial View Post
Remember 3rd gear is the money shot, once you pass him just yell "Ecotec just kicked in yo!"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
I think GM has changed direction. I think they have decided that they cannot beat the imports with American cars. Look at the Cruze. It looks like something that Toyota or Mazda would have made. IMHO they have decided to start building imports, to jump on the bandwagon. What better way to do that than to bash the cars they used to make?

I want to see their precious little cruze get the mpg that I get from my balt, and still have the 148 HP I have when I want it.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
Quote:
I think GM has changed direction. I think they have decided that they cannot beat the imports with American cars. Look at the Cruze. It looks like something that Toyota or Mazda would have made. IMHO they have decided to start building imports, to jump on the bandwagon. What better way to do that than to bash the cars they used to make?

I want to see their precious little cruze get the mpg that I get from my balt, and still have the 148 HP I have when I want it.
Actually the Cruze with the 1.4T is supposed to make 148HP and 148TQ and get 40+mpg on the highways. So, I might be on board with this thing as soon as I see one in person and test drive one. Plus a Six speed Manual or Auto
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Quote:

It probably will get better, I mean, it's rated at 36 for the normal model - and the Eco should be 40+, and probably attain more than that. Technology helps there...

Honestly, the Cobalt is pretty decent quality when compared to other vehicles in the same segment - people just seem to talk out their ass about the car when they have absolutely no room to speak.

We had a Corolla here at work in March, and it was absolutely pathetic, the cluster hood grain felt literally like sandpaper, and the patchwork effect was awful - not to mention the terrible gap size and consistency, along with flushness inconsistencies. The civic isn't much better.

Honestly, from a standpoint of someone who works with interiors every day (I actually work in perceived quality, so I look at how consumers will view the interior), the Cobalt has a good interior for the segment. And the drivetrain of the car is very reliable, that's for sure.

I love my little Balt!

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5Steven View Post
Actually the Cruze with the 1.4T is supposed to make 148HP and 148TQ and get 40+mpg on the highways. So, I might be on board with this thing as soon as I see one in person and test drive one. Plus a Six speed Manual or Auto
The "build your own" from Chevy puts all trim levels at 138 HP including the 1.4TC... Here is the link.

Build Your Own 2011 Cruze | Chevrolet

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I am wondering, purely hypothetically just what the dimensions are on the Cruze's dashboard as compared to the Cobalt....

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Say What again!

Garage
I was wondering that as well...

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
Quote:
The "build your own" from Chevy puts all trim levels at 138 HP including the 1.4TC... Here is the link.

Build Your Own 2011 Cruze | Chevrolet

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I am wondering, purely hypothetically just what the dimensions are on the Cruze's dashboard as compared to the Cobalt....
I wonder when that changed, because Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Consumer Reports all reported that the 1.4T was supposed to be 148hp and same on TQ. So GM decided to step it down on the tuning again, and lost their 40+mpg because of it... Do they not get that MORE Power means MORE Economy??? Check out the Vette, they almost got it right on that, it gets over 26mpg with 430hp of raw power, and could be more if the gearing was right... like say a seven speed instead of six.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5Steven View Post
I wonder when that changed, because Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Consumer Reports all reported that the 1.4T was supposed to be 148hp and same on TQ. So GM decided to step it down on the tuning again, and lost their 40+mpg because of it... Do they not get that MORE Power means MORE Economy??? Check out the Vette, they almost got it right on that, it gets over 26mpg with 430hp of raw power, and could be more if the gearing was right... like say a seven speed instead of six.
They Vette is also significantly more aerodynamic, and weighs about the same as a Cruze, if not a little bit more - the LS series engine is also one of the most efficient V8s out there, if not the most efficient. The mileage it attains is actually kind of obscene for the power it makes.

The rear gearing would play more of an effect than number of gears in the transmission...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cruze , fuel , lordstown , ohio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode