How to Properly Repair Key FOB. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Electrical Electrical DIY/How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
How to Properly Repair Key FOB.

Different key FOB problems have been dealt with in many threads in here but none have it all in one spot. I'm going to attempt to show you how to properly repair a 22733524 which is the most commonly used remote for Cobalts if you have remote start option. If not you would have the 22733523 or 15252034 which is in fact the same remote minus the start button.

Here is what it looks like.

Now you will want to split it open. If you look at it near the key ring hole there is a slot where you can insert a flat blade screwdriver or a special key FOB splitter. (shown here)

You will end-up with two halves.

The key FOB consist of four parts; Top shell half, button pad, circuit board and bottom half of shell.

The most common problem or failure is the battery clip that de-solders or partially breaks away from the circuit board. This makes for and intermittent key FOB because you have a bad battery contact that sometime touches and sometimes don't.

Second most common failure is the battery and clip completely breaking away from the board. This is catastrophic failure because nothing works from then on.

Some of the tools needed for this repair are shown in the next picture. You also need an alcohol base cleaner.

Next step is to remove battery clip if it isn't already completely off.

Then clean the old solder and through holes on the board of as much of the old solder that you can via soldapullt or wick. Once that is done take this time to clean contact surfaces on both sides of the board with alcohol.

Next step is dab or brush some flux onto the three tabs of the battery clip to help solder flow and minimize flux residue on the surface of the circuit board you just cleaned.

Then insert battery clip on board making sure both through hole tabs bottom out. Solder with resin core 63/37.

You should end up with a board that looks like this.

Next step is adding a new battery, just slip it in from the end.

Now put it all back together to test it. If some buttons don't work replace the button pad with a new one.

If you don't have a new button pad and can't wait for delivery time you can mend your old pad by punching out foil duct tape with a hole punch. This tape already has glue on one side.

Now the hard part peeling the paper backing off of the foil.

Apply piece of foil glue down (lol) onto failed contact.

Re-assemble and try it again.

Since I usually don't have the vehicle, I test them with an RF detector. Click on video.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 07-13-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
For those people that like to repair things themselves I have this advice. More is not better. I just finished repairing 2 remotes that had just been brought to a local dealer for repair. Customer said they worked great for about 1 hour and when the first one died he tried the second one and it also didn't work anymore, but they both worked when he picked them up and had new batteries installed. Here is what I discovered the tech who thought was doing a good job by making sure there was enough solder on the battery clip actually caused and other problem. By putting so much solder on the inside of the clip cause the solder to eventually take the shape of the edge of the battery because it's a spring clip it applies pressure at the solder point. The solder took the shape of the outside edge of the battery until it formed a dead short between + and - of battery. So when soldering your battery clip back in, more is not better, use only solder necessary to properly attach clip to circuit board and try to minimize any excessive amount on the inside of battery clip. Arrow is pointing at dimpled in solder caused by battery.

Here is what the tech did if I can draw this right.
Red = positive of battery
Blue = negative
orange= isolator
yellow = negative board contact
green = circuit board
charcoal = battery clip
light grey = solder

This is what happened after soft solder reshaped itself to the contour of battery, shorting the red to the blue in the process.

Now had he done this instead with his solder flow all problems would have been avoided.

Last edited by Coby7; 07-13-2014 at 01:31 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Forum Regular

In one of my fobs I tried the temporarily repair method with the duct foil.
It worked great for months.
One day it stopped working. I tried my spare fob (which is like brand new) It was dead as well.

The following is a suggestion from Coby7

I've only seen that twice and never on a Cobalt. Impala and Grand Prix but they use the same RCDLR. So what I needed to do was pull the fuse count to ten then put the fuse back in. I believe on the Cobalt it's the radio fuse that also supplies the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver)

I pulled radio fuse and counted to about 20 and voila Keyless entry works again!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Prospect

Coby 7 thanks for the tutorial... I just had to repair the FOB for my 09 Cobalt, that I got last week LOL.

I had a devil of a time getting the factory solder out of the holes for the pins on the side. I even bought a solder vacuum but do not have the skill level to use it I guess. Anyhow, I just removed what I could. Then I heated up the solder on one side set the pin with flux on it. Then repeated that on the other side.

Once it was flush I soldered the end tab, and added about .005ml of solder to the pins. It is working again for now, will see how long it lasts. Before I tackle it again I will pick up some solder wicking material to see if that is easier for me to remove the old solder.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
To remove the old solder from the hole add solder with your soldering tip then use your soldapullt. Also try to only put solder on the outside of the clip and like I said before more is not better.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
To remove the old solder from the hole add solder with your soldering tip then use your soldapullt. Also try to only put solder on the outside of the clip and like I said before more is not better.
I tried everything but adding more solder or using wicking. I will have to get some wicking as I am trying to repair some things with boards now instead of just replacing.

I only used solder on the outside... since I was paying attention to your advice that more is NOT good. So far the fix is holding. Now if I could just figure out why my car alarm went off with no around the car, the other night?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Probably for the same reason as all other Cobalt owners. The hood switch start to corrode and the car thinks somebody is trying to open the hood.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Newcomer

I have a chevy cobalt ss 2007 just bought it couplenof days ago ! It doesnt have fob remote with it but i am looking for one! Can you tell me which part number will best suite for it ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Depends if it came with or without remote start. Check your RPO list under the trunk mat for AU0, AP3 or AP8.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode