Header and Cat-back Install Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Header and Cat-back Install Questions

Hi, i recently ordered a header and cat-back for my 2.2 but im having a hard time picturing the entire set up from the sales pics alone.

It seems as if the kits are missing the downpipe?

Header > DP> cat-back correct?

The kit i purchased is basically this kit right here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-MUFFLER...LH_TitleDesc=0

Is that a full exhaust that deletes the cat or does it reuse the old DP/cat?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:42 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Based on the image/description, that replaces the manifold and the catback, but is missing the downpipe...which is one of the more restrictive parts to begin with.

From the reviews on Amazon of what is probably the same exhaust, prepare for a majorly raspy sound at higher throttle amounts...this will be exacerbated by the header, and a larger downpipe which I'd recommend to make use of having a header.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. Thats what i was thinking as well.

Im not even sure im going to use the header. I was mostly looking to replace the dp and cat-back. Honestly the factory exhaust manifold looks pretty well designed as is.

Is there anyone who sells a "test pipe" or cat-less dp for these cars? All im coming up with are dp's for turbo cars.

As far as the rasp, i've ran these kits on other cars (no header) and thought they had a pretty clean deeper sound personally. Some of them have a fairly large resonator. My 2.0 focus sounded amazing. I couldnt even hear it at cruise.

Last edited by Whitebread; 08-10-2018 at 07:32 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 AM
Say What again!

Garage
An LSJ Manifold and downpipe is a good, cheap alternative, as well.

ZZP sells a catless downpipe, but that's going to increase rasp more. I have a ZZP mid-length header, a ZZP catted downpipe, and an SS/TC exhaust (with a giant Magnaflow resonator replacing the factory resonator), and my car sounds great at idle and low throttle, but at full throttle, it is outrageously loud and raspy, as the SS/TC muffler does about zero muffling whatsoever at WOT.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I was just looking at the LSJ option haha.

ZZP seems to be out of stock atm for the 2.2. But it looks like they are the only aftermarket option. Guess i will have to contact them. Im surprised china-bay didnt jump all over them.

I appreciate the insight on your set up. I may have to modify this if its too loud or raspy. I drive to much to have a raspy exhaust.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Not a problem!

And yeah, the Ecotecs can get really raspy, really quickly.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Something like this would work if i can find one correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-R...-/190936325044

2.0 supercharged and 2.2 and 2.4 cars are similar iirc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Possibly - and yes, they are similar - as long as you have a manual. The downpipes are different between the manual and auto cars, due to the angle the engine sits at (the top of the engine in the auto is rotated closer to the front of the vehicle). I forgot about that when I made my earlier statement about the LSJ manifold/downpipe - the manifold will work on either, but the LSJ downpipe will only work on a manual car.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Good info, thanks again.

I may have a line on a used zzp. So i guess i'll see how that plays out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well zzp is out of stock and said they wont have any in for a couple weeks.

Which is odd, because i contacted a china-bay distributor and they are out for a couple weeks too. Guess they use the same suppliers? Im sure everything is sourced from china anymore.

The search continues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode