Building a 2.2 and have questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By victory_red_SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Building a 2.2 and have questions

Hey guys,

I plan on building my 2.2 LAP because I'm sure that soon enough im gonna throw a rod because of the supercharger and it's my daily so I want it to go fast and also be reliable.

So while building the engine of course I want to throw more power at it because why the hell wouldn't I if I'm building it.

Here's my question, how much will the stock cast aluminum pistons handle and would it be worth using forge pistons if I only plan on running like a 2.7 on the m62 which is like 18psi.

Forged rods, mls headgasket, arp headstuds and file fit rings at about 20~22 thou are a must for me but I'm just curious if the stock pistons will hold since if I'm not gonna make more than 18psi I'm not entirely sure if I really should throw forged pistons at it. If it's not gonna get turned up it seems like a waste of cash towards other mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinecty View Post
Hey guys,

I plan on building my 2.2 LAP because I'm sure that soon enough im gonna throw a rod because of the supercharger and it's my daily so I want it to go fast and also be reliable.

So while building the engine of course I want to throw more power at it because why the hell wouldn't I if I'm building it.

Here's my question, how much will the stock cast aluminum pistons handle and would it be worth using forge pistons if I only plan on running like a 2.7 on the m62 which is like 18psi.

Forged rods, mls headgasket, arp headstuds and file fit rings at about 20~22 thou are a must for me but I'm just curious if the stock pistons will hold since if I'm not gonna make more than 18psi I'm not entirely sure if I really should throw forged pistons at it. If it's not gonna get turned up it seems like a waste of cash towards other mods.
I won't pretend to know the answer to your question but I will make a suggestion.
If you want daily driver reliable and you want to use that 18lbs of boost (why the heck wouldn't you because you added a S/C'er?) then do as I have always done, over build. Do run on the edge, don't do maybe it will/won't. Make sure it will hold because if a piston goes while you are pushing it to the limit, the damage isn't going to be just 1 broken piston. Parts flying around inside your engine do a lot more damage.

I am building my whole project on this very simple believe. Could I have saved money, up front? Yes.

Am I saving money after the fact? YES.

Now you need to choose which option you are going to take.

Rod
kinecty likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I think we just gotta let her eat bartle skeet on stock pistons, and maybe some meth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode