Dirty Oil - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Dirty Oil

Ok. This is my first post, and I searched first but didn't find anything. Heres the problem:
The first few(3) Oil changes I had on my 2007 G5 2.2l I brought the car to the dealer and had them put in regular oil(for the break in period). After the next 3500 miles I brought my car to a quick lube and they said I had "residual" oil. I brought my car to the quick lube after another 3500 miles and again "residual" oil. I am going to start changing my own oil, I've just been lazy recently, but does anyone know why my oil is so dirty??? Also does anyone have good suggestions to keep my oil clean from now on?

I always changed my oil around 3500 miles, but now that I'm going to put synthetic in I'm going to go 5000, but I want to make sure it stays relatively clean. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Forum Regular

Your engine might be dirty umm what you could do is get a new cheap oil filter and cheap oil run it for about a week then change your oil only agian use cheap oil run another week change again but this time change to you good oil filter and good oil that should clean out the gunk inside your engine if there is any

Edit: If you try this method try to run it about 5-10 miles at least a day and change after about a week
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 AM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

Welcome to the site!

Do you live in a dirty environment? such as dirt roads, excessive salt, etc..

I personally run full synthetic 3000 miles and then change the it. I have heard of ppl going as much as 7500 miles on full synthetic, but i personally wouldn't do it. I would say if you want to change it every 5000 miles with full synthetic, change the filter every 2500.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I do not live in an extremely dirty environment. I live in Wisconsin and it has been winter time and we have had some snow and salt on the roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode