performance mods? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

performance mods?

ok so far i have the gmpp exhaust and intake. car sounds good but could sound better. i have a steel mesh air filter. and 17's that are 8 wide in the front and 7.5 in the back. the car has HORRIBLE take off then it wakes up in stages. about 3k rpms it hits a little and then 5k it hits harder. im going to put a header at least on it. is there any other performance mods i can do without going forced induction? also is there a way to get a mail order tune or something to fix this pathetic lag on take off? other info on the car is its an 09 black 2 door 5 speed 245/40/zr17 tires lowered on sportlines. any help is needed. thanks

09 cobalt LT - gmpp sri, gmpp catback, eibach sportlines, twm short shifter, enkei 17x8 inch wheels, air box mod, tinted windows and tails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular

go to a muffler shop and get a custom exhaust...get like a 3'' full exhaust or something; catless downpipe, hi-flow cat converter (if you want one; it may be loud without), maybe do some weight reduction; get some sort of tune if possible. idk

anything else is gonna cost a lot of money. maybe try cleaning the MAF, throttle body, and maybe run some fuel injector/fuel system cleaner and see if that restores some power?

GO COLTS!
DELTA TAU DELTA, BETA PSI TIL' I DIE!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2924127
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jnicks510
yes you can get a tune from trifecta. its about $250 plus a $200 deposit for the installation equipment. you will get your $200 back when you send back the equipment. you get also get the 2.4 intake manifold, aftermarket dp (i suggest the zzp header/dp combo). you can also do some internal work if you want like cams, pistons, rod, etc. it all depends on how much you are will to spend, warranty, and your power goals.

'08 MiBalt LT Sedan
Mods:
17" Konig Unknowns; Eibach Sportlines; Debadged; Custom Dash Trim (in the process of repainting); Shorty Antenna; Black Stock Headlights; 10k HIDs
SC BUILD COMING SOON!!!

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK2007LS View Post
go to a muffler shop and get a custom exhaust...get like a 3'' full exhaust or something; catless downpipe, hi-flow cat converter (if you want one; it may be loud without), maybe do some weight reduction; get some sort of tune if possible. idk

anything else is gonna cost a lot of money. maybe try cleaning the MAF, throttle body, and maybe run some fuel injector/fuel system cleaner and see if that restores some power?
he said he already had an exhaust and you dont get a 3" exhaust unless you're going turbo. but yes for the most part mods will be in the hundreds.

'08 MiBalt LT Sedan
Mods:
17" Konig Unknowns; Eibach Sportlines; Debadged; Custom Dash Trim (in the process of repainting); Shorty Antenna; Black Stock Headlights; 10k HIDs
SC BUILD COMING SOON!!!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

i dont want to go internal with the motor. just basic bolt ons i guess. would the shop know if i had a 2.4 intake manifold on there? they told me any exhaust wouldnt hurt the warranty as long as its not what caused the problem with the car. and my goals are just to fix the speedometer being about 10 mph off and fix the "turbo lag" when i take off. its not being done to go fast. just a little bit faster. my trans am is to go fast

09 cobalt LT - gmpp sri, gmpp catback, eibach sportlines, twm short shifter, enkei 17x8 inch wheels, air box mod, tinted windows and tails.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Expert

3 i exhuast is pointless on a car almost regardless even with a turbo... you'll onlyget as much performance and flow as the turbo outlet put's out so say that the turbo out let is 2.5 nething over 2.5 piping is a waste of money.... catless down pipe on a 2.2 willl not help him off the line it hurt's you because of the higher airflow with out forced induction trust me i know my car is all top end performance built with just enough power to get off the line like a mini monster...

they way your goin now is good like they trifecta is a good 2.2 tuner and damn near the only BUT make sure your done modding performance wise before doing a tune or you'll just have to retune

ballin outta control in a camo balt
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Expert

and got to crateenginedepot.com to get your intake manifold...

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Veteran

you dont have a turbo lag because you dont have a turbo lol. the 2.4 manifold is a gm product so it wont void your warranty. it is also very very hard to prove that a bolt on part caused your entire motor to malfunction. why and how is your speedometer 10mph off btw?

'08 MiBalt LT Sedan
Mods:
SC BUILD COMING SOON!!!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

before i get that zzp header and downpipe.... its not going to sound all riced out is it? i like the deep kind of growl it has now. and do you really think the tune will help with the bog at take off?

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Expert

prbably the gnarly ****in sized tire's he has on there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode