Oil Catch Can Explantion! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Oil Catch Can Explantion!

Alright guys and gals, I've a had a several people ask about the oil catch can that i installed. So i am going to try to explain it the best i can so please read entire post.
IF you need to reference pics they are in my show off thread.

So it goes like this. If you look at a stock Ecotec 2.2/2.4/2.0 they ALL have an air line that goes from the valve cover to the intake. This air hose is there to basically vent all the gassy,oily air from the engine. But if you think about it is just going right back into the engine through the intake and then into the throttle body. Did you ever wonder why your throttle body gets really dirty if you don't clean it for a while, this is one reason.

I am not the first one to do this. The oil catch can can be found on a number of forums, CSS, LCN, ECOtecforums, as well as other vehicle types. They all have done it. There are NO POWER GAINS from this. The oil catch can is basically just to CLEAN the vented air before it goes back into the engine.

The catch can works like this.There is one air hose coming from the Valve cover. This hose goes onto the *IN* side of the Air compressor filter. Next you take a hose from the *OUT* side of the filter and this runs to the air intake. ITS THAT SIMPLE!

Now some people that have put an after market intake (any brand) on there vehicle have just removed or didn't use that piece of hose that connects the valve cover to the air intake. They have put just a breather filter on the valve cover.(small type filter-like the one i have on the end of my SAI tube) Now you can do this, BUT in some vehicles you will notice a loss of sustained air pressure that the engine needs. I tried this just to see what happened and i noticed that the engine bogged down and idled funny. Some people didn't notice that but i did.

Now after all that if your still wondering if it was worth it to do this $30 mod. YES IT WAS. The reason i know it was is because when installed this i removed the throttle body and cleaned it extremely well. I checked it the other day just to see how it was and it is SPOTLESS (still shiny).

So all in all it does what it's supposed- clean the vented air before it goes back into the engine. THAT'S it.

I had this posted in my old showoff thread, figured i would save it with a new thread.

I can add pics later.

ADDED INFO FOR REFERENCE:

Now the way I did mine was a complete custom setup. So I will try to include the basic parts needed.

These are the parts I started with

This is an installed picture

1 - Air compressor filter [Found at hardware store in near the tools/air compressors]

2 - Air compressor nipple fittings for attaching the hoses Found in the same area as filter

4 - 1/2" hose clamps

Length of 1/2" heater hose/fuel hose - I purchased a 4' roll from pepboys from around $5

Those are the basic parts needed to do this. You just have to figure out a way to mount it. I custom made a mount out of thin steel and attached it to the firewall.

Now in order to install this all you do is take a length of hose coming from the valve cover and route that to the "inlet" of the filter.

Then take a length of hose from the "outlet" of the filter and route that to the nipple on the intake itself. See pic for reference

Thats basically it, theres not much too it.

Here are a few "after" pictures. I had this installed for about 6000 miles.
You can see the oil build up on the inlet side of the filter.

In this picture you can see that it actually does do its job

Heres another pic

Another pic

Last edited by XFE; 03-21-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:06 AM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
Very good idea. I have been meaning to do this, but I am waiting till old man winter dies.

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
^^^ Will He Ever DIE???

I've been meaning to do this too, After I saw your showoff thread with it, I really wanted to go to the store and buy the part, but I ended up catching the flu and missing work so money got tight. Soon as I get extra cash, the door panel and this will be attacked.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Have you noticed if the oil level decreases over time?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Have you noticed if the oil level decreases over time?
Do you mean Physical Oil level or the oily build up on the TB?

Last edited by XFE; 02-26-2010 at 06:09 AM.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
Do you mean Physical Oil level or the oily build up on the TB?
The former.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Quote:
The former.
Well i will tell you that my intake tubing and throttle body are still clean (cleaner then they would have been without the catch can)

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Right - but when you have the factory system, it keeps the oil in the engine, just circulates what gets blown by and what not...so I'm wondering if this makes your oil level lower over time...

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Right - but when you have the factory system, it keeps the oil in the engine, just circulates what gets blown by and what not...so I'm wondering if this makes your oil level lower over time...
No, I have never noticed that. (I check my oil fluids regularly)

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Oh, all right. Cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode