Here's a Idea and a Stupid Question> - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Here's a Idea and a Stupid Question>

I'm impressed with the horsepower figures I'm seeing coming from different platforms of the Eco-Tec engine........but I was wondering if anyone is running or has plans to swap a Pontiac Gran-Prix GXP engine in a Cobalt?? Its a 5.3 V8 and is also FWD but I'm not sure if this engine could be mated to a 5-speed or not....if a 5.3 can be shoe-horned in the engine bay I may consider this swap.....I know where a smashed 2005 GXP is......I would imagine torque-steer being a problem but man the pull on this engine bolted inside a Cobalt must be serious.......Any suggestions are appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Is not worth the time/money/hassle...

If ya got the money...hell...go for it.

post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

well, the smashed GXP cost $600..from the junkyard, so parts wise I should have everything needed to perform a swap minus tranny/engine mounts.....I might look into this swap once I find an SS four door.....

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Your looking at a lot more cash that that dude...

post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Well fill me in...what else could possibly be needed??? A friend of mine owned two Cobalts and he works at a dealership as a tech.....

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Im thinking $2,500 tops for this swap considering me and a friend can perform this swap flawlessly and with a donor car already , buying a ton of new parts should be limited...if you have any more input to this by all means dude....
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

the hubs and axles will bolt right up to the ss/sc knuckles, and the tc knuckles except the tc knuckles will only mate to brembo calipers. the cradle will need modification, no big deal. the engine and trans mount will most likely need to be re located on the frame rails. the oil pan might sit too low, or too high, or it might not fit at all. grab a junk yard cradle from a cobalt and try it out.

post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thanx, for the input dude......I figured it would fit since the Pontiac and the Cobalt are kinda shaped the same and the cars aren't that different in overall size so.....who knows, we'll see.....Im hoping the pan doesn't sit to low since I have plans on lower the car not much because 19's are the size rim I want to run.....
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
do it, that would be amazing! but space is so dang limited
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

yeah Im thinking I might need two Cobalt cradles, in case I have to hack one completely to shreds....Im gonna have some trouble sourcing wrecked Cobalts though......

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Thanx derrbalt...it's just a thought I dont even know if this is gonna work, Im might get all the way up to installing the engine and run into an impossible..so we'll see......I have to find a SS four door first and see what 5 speed/trans I can run with this engine

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

I plan on taking a serious dump on any Honda/ WRX/ EVO whatever number/ and especially SRT4's........
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Dude, do it! Then make it look as stock as possible and badge it ad an LS! You'll be an uber sleeper!

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode