Right Spark Plugs? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Right Spark Plugs?

hi guys and girls (if your reading this)

okay here's what i have to ask...i just bought NGK G-Power Platinum Alloy spark plugs, LTR5GP stock# 5019 and realized i didn't do my research. so with that said did i get the right ones? i am a 2.2L, year 2007 and everything's stock on engine. planning on getting a K&N Intake in future though.

please help me, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Newcomer

My lady has a 2006 LS with the 2.2. I bought the E3 spark plugs and put the in and ever since the car has been throwing codes like crazy. I am going to switch to the Autolite Iridium XP and see if it helps. If check engine lite comes on it will probably be PO340 and PO341. It takes about 40 miles or so to come on. If it does`nt come on you are good. Just thought I would let you know my experience.

Weapon-R intake, 17 silver wheels. Custom 2 1/4 in exhaust. Voltage regulator.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

well thank you. man, this morning my car didn't start the first time i turned the key. the second time it did but after it felt like it was gonna stall again and when i stepped on the gas, it lost power, took my foot off and gained it back. this time was the worst out of all of the other times. i'm pretty sure it's the spark plugs but not 100%. i have yet to receive a CEL and idk what to do or even if i got the right plugs....

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

some cars dont like certain plugs, it's a pretty common thing. myself and most other experienced owners will say ngk or ac delco. try out whatever plugs you want it's not really gonna hurt anything.

post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

oh really? okay. good thing i got the NGK. now i just have to someone to put it in for me...time to call around and fork up some cash. i don't trust myself enough to do it.

thank you guys for responding.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff_drift_lol View Post
some cars dont like certain plugs, it's a pretty common thing. myself and most other experienced owners will say ngk or ac delco. try out whatever plugs you want it's not really gonna hurt anything.
Yep - Delco or NGK is what I'd run. I still have my stock Iridium Delcos in there - maybe I should swap to some colder NGK iridiums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosprite2005 View Post
oh really? okay. good thing i got the NGK. now i just have to someone to put it in for me...time to call around and fork up some cash. i don't trust myself enough to do it.

thank you guys for responding.
To change your plugs? Hopefully you find a friend who can do it...

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

mp definitely colder plugs since you're boosted now. not sure why you haven't already done that it's a major preventative mod! bkr7e is what i run.

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Say What again!

Garage
I haven't hit knock or anything, plus it would cause me to have to actually buy more stuff (then again, what am I doing with suspension).

I'm at like 47k miles, so might behoove me to change them as it is. Definitely want iridium plugs...

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
running with bkr7e myself aswell

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Ahh, but those aren't iridium...hmm

Need to find plugs that are one step colder than: NGK LTR5IX-11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode