Exhaust System Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Exhaust System Questions

Ok when i first got my cobalt i wasnt that much into tuning and wasnt to sure on whatto do so i took my car to a local muffler shop. They took some pipeing and welded it to the hole on my catalytic converter flange and ran the pipe to the end of my car and put a 3a racing muffler on it. The car sounds good but i'm thinking of changein it so i was wondering would i have to have a new flange installed on my catalytic converter if i wanted to get a bolt on exhaust system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to LSlowBalt
Have any pics to show what you mean?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 PM
That's Mr. meogE to you.

Garage
I don't see why they would weld it onto your catalytic converter when they could just bold it onto the pipe right behind it. If they did cut that pipe off and weld something on then yes, you're gonna need to have a new section of pipe with a flange welded on.

2006 Red Chevy Cobalt LT
mods: Kenwood DNX5140 Head Unit, HIDs, Halo headlights, LED taillights, Injen CAI, LSJ throttle body, 2.4L intake manifold, red interior LED's, TWM short shifter, custom fit red seat covers, red trim and door handles, SS gauge cluster, Racing Solution long tube header/downpipe, Corsa touring exhaust, lightweight crank and alternator pulleys, trifecta tune, 17" Motegi black rims

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I'll have to take sum pics of it but i'm worried that if i put a new flange on there the dealer is gonna notice and void my warranty
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 PM
That's Mr. meogE to you.

Garage
If it doesn't have the stock flange on it now then they'd react the same way. As long as the catalytic converter is there I don't see the warranty being voided though. Say you put on a cold air intake and your something happens to your engine, unless they can prove that the intake caused the problem they have to cover it. If they do prove it go to the manufacturer and tell them they're product broke you're car and they're going to fix it.

2006 Red Chevy Cobalt LT
mods: Kenwood DNX5140 Head Unit, HIDs, Halo headlights, LED taillights, Injen CAI, LSJ throttle body, 2.4L intake manifold, red interior LED's, TWM short shifter, custom fit red seat covers, red trim and door handles, SS gauge cluster, Racing Solution long tube header/downpipe, Corsa touring exhaust, lightweight crank and alternator pulleys, trifecta tune, 17" Motegi black rims
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

mabe there is a war that i could cut the pipe from the catalytic converter and that way the flange is still attached to the catalytic converter
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Forum God

Garage
As long as there is a muffler and the 2 factory converters in the stock places they can't do a damn thing because aftermarket catbacks...custom or not...no NOT void warranties...unless you live in California because CARB sucks.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

ok i did an oil change today and i saw that the cut the flange and welded the pipe to the spot of wher the flange was. So if i put a new flange there and get a cat-back exhaust would i be good on the warranty
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode