Camshaft Mod? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to JoZaY Send a message via Yahoo to JoZaY
Camshaft Mod?

what do you guys think about grinding/machining our stock cams to work like stage 1, 2, or 3 cams?

FULLY BOLTED AND TRIFECTA TUNED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Forum God

Garage
Ummm, no.

I'd never "machine" a major part of the valvetrain....if your trying to upgrade cams...then buy them. That's just like going to a hospital and after you lose a ton of blood they do a transfusion from a AIDS patient.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to JoZaY Send a message via Yahoo to JoZaY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegtp91 View Post
Ummm, no.

I'd never "machine" a major part of the valvetrain....if your trying to upgrade cams...then buy them. That's just like going to a hospital and after you lose a ton of blood they do a transfusion from a AIDS patient.
hahaha damn bro you didnt have to lay it on me like that

i guess im just frustrated cuz they dont make cams for the 2007 balt and overheard some honda dude talking about remachining the lobes on the cams or something like that...to be honest i didnt think that was possible but i asked cuz im f***en desprate

FULLY BOLTED AND TRIFECTA TUNED!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Forum God

Im a 06 I was pretty close to getting stage 2 cams I said eff it not worth the $500 with the tune and I only wanted it for sound. And I might gain like 20 to 30hp

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackARCA06 View Post
Im a 06 I was pretty close to getting stage 2 cams I said eff it not worth the $500 with the tune and I only wanted it for sound. And I might gain like 20 to 30hp
If you can get cams for these cars they are definitely worth it. 500 for 20 hp NA is about as good as your going to get in the HP/$ ratio.

I have an 07 and really wish someone made cams for my car too considering how easy they are to put on.

I would think machining your stock cams would make them smaller and let in less air. You usually machine blank cams that come with larger lobes so you can dial in how much air you want to let in safely. Otherwise doing it to stock cams would hold you back I would think anyway.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman15 View Post
If you can get cams for these cars they are definitely worth it. 500 for 20 hp NA is about as good as your going to get in the HP/$ ratio.

I have an 07 and really wish someone made cams for my car too considering how easy they are to put on.

I would think machining your stock cams would make them smaller and let in less air. You usually machine blank cams that come with larger lobes so you can dial in how much air you want to let in safely. Otherwise doing it to stock cams would hold you back I would think anyway.
Yes true but i quit modding the only balt ive seen bolted, cammed, and tuned made 170. And he spent big money doing so i guarantee it. If im gonna make power ill go turbo or supercharged, but im not going to no point putting big money into this car. If i wanted power I woulda got a SS.

Last edited by BlackARCA06; 08-28-2010 at 09:06 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Yes true but i quit modding the only balt ive seen bolted, cammed, and tuned made 170. And he spent big money doing so i guarantee it. If im gonna make power ill go turbo or supercharged, but im not going to no point putting big money into this car. If i wanted power I woulda got a SS.
Must have been a crappy tune because with an Injen CAI, 2.4 IM, 2.4 TB, Long tube header, hi-flow cat, and full 2.5in exhaust and tuned you should easily be able to get 170Hp. That is without cams. Since 07's cant get cams at least we have to option to get HP tuners which wont make as much as cams but can make the other bolt-ons work a bit better than Trifecta.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman15 View Post
Must have been a crappy tune because with an Injen CAI, 2.4 IM, 2.4 TB, Long tube header, hi-flow cat, and full 2.5in exhaust and tuned you should easily be able to get 170Hp. That is without cams. Since 07's cant get cams at least we have to option to get HP tuners which wont make as much as cams but can make the other bolt-ons work a bit better than Trifecta.
I believe he is referring to cobalttom who got about 188 or so with stage 2 cams. He also shaved the cylinder heads, did a port and polish and upgraded the injectors plus all the bolt ons. A 200hp NA motor on a 2.2 is something I haven't seen yet. For full bolt ons its about 170whp.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
I believe he is referring to cobalttom who got about 188 or so with stage 2 cams. He also shaved the cylinder heads, did a port and polish and upgraded the injectors plus all the bolt ons. A 200hp NA motor on a 2.2 is something I haven't seen yet. For full bolt ons its about 170whp.
Cobalttom is who I was referring to. He gained alot from his mods but as Camo said 200hp on a NA would be hard. Hers his link https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...auburn-wa.html

Keep in mind these cars have like 120 to 130hp to the wheels tops when stock

Last edited by BlackARCA06; 08-28-2010 at 11:57 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Cobalttom is who I was referring to. He gained alot from his mods but as Camo said 200hp on a NA would be hard. Hers his link https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...auburn-wa.html

Keep in mind these cars have like 120 to 130hp to the wheels tops when stock
Those vids are old. He just posted his updated set-up on another forum im on and has a better flowing exhaust with a 3in catback and fixed the tune. When he got 180 he was running super rich and now that he has that fixed he said he should easily be at 200hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode