Unplugging the MAF - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Unplugging the MAF

Ok I know this is a dumb question but how do you unplug the MAF sensor? There's a white piece on top where I can unclip but it just loosens. I don't wanna yank the plug.

I've unplugged maf's in the last few Fords when cleaning the sensors but this one's tricky.

Reason: to someday install a GMPP intake. Otherwise I'd just already unclipped the airbox for checking the air filter.

2010 Cobalt 2LT Victory red Coupe
Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to JoZaY Send a message via Yahoo to JoZaY
you unscrew it

FULLY BOLTED AND TRIFECTA TUNED!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

So all I have to do is screw in the maf/plug assembly on whatever intake I desire?

Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to JoZaY Send a message via Yahoo to JoZaY
yup...just 2 tiny screws. takes about a minute...

unless you make the intake, then you have to drill a hole for the MAF then make sure its snugg...

but if your planning to get a k&n or ingen or gmp or any of the leading brands out there, they already have the MAF hole and the 2 little holes for the screws.

FULLY BOLTED AND TRIFECTA TUNED!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Contributor

yeah unpugging is a *****. trust me. just take the screws out

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD, you always want to hit it but are afraid of the consequences.
I purposely down shift when i pass a prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Imagine replacing the sensor lol!

Thanks guys

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

One more q though. How do you remove the plastic cover, part of the stock intake tube? There's a piece of rubber between that and the engine. Do you just yank it out?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
unplugging is really easy, though it's a 2 step process unlike other standard connectors. First you must remove the white retainer, then it's pull up and remove like other connectors.

I don't have pics readily available but if you can find me a pic of take a pic yourself I can tell you exactly what to do. It's really not hard and you shouldn't have to force anything.

Also, when replacing your intake, though not necessary, but unplugging would be the most cautious thing to do to prevent any accidents from damaging it. If you remove the 2 screws it will stay attached to the harness.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
One more q though. How do you remove the plastic cover, part of the stock intake tube? There's a piece of rubber between that and the engine. Do you just yank it out?
if memory serves me right that rubber thing your talking about is held by a pop-up pin. Just follow it and see where the attachment point is.

MODS: GMPP "Performance" cat-back, GMPP intake, GMPP extrude honed header, GMPP ground effects kit, lip spoiler, gen 4 headlights, DC sport strut tower brace, splitter, vortex generators, motegi SP10, Iridium spark plugs, ractive aluminum pedals, white carbon shift knob, shorty antenna, 4300K HID low beams (screw electricals warranty)

by gCobalt05
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Forum God

Garage
The engine cover just pops right off, but if your talking about the plastic piece that sits on top of the throttle body...that is actually the factory intake...which is lame.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Unplugging is pretty easy as stated before. if it's anything like my SS's, you pull the white retainer clip back, and pinch down on it and it pulls apart. takes me 5 seconds to do it on mine.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode