Any Exhaust Systems That Are Quieter? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Arrow Any Exhaust Systems That Are Quieter?

I am interested in replacing my current stock exhaust on a 2010 4-door LT. Are there any options that are not really loud? I would rather have something somewhat low-key considering the car, as is, is not particularly fast. Not trying to announce to the world my entrance every where I go.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Forum Regular

DO not get Ebay exhuast. They r loud. LOL. Im living with it. For now.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Borla may be good. Had one on my Focus, loved it. Deep n throaty.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Short answer, no. I had good luck keeping quiet when I was running on just the header, a little louder when I added the SS/SC exhaust, and it got really loud when I replaced the dp. I would say if you want to keep quiet, keep the stock down pipe with whatever you do. IMO

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Staff Alumni

Welcome!

You could always just replace your muffler and get a nice tip on it if you're just going for a cosmetic upgrade. You won't be screaming down the highway with that.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Staff Alumni

If it simply to replace the huge stock one. Find a muffler that's smaller that you like the look of from any car and have it welded on at a shop. If you want a little noise but not raspy and whatnot. Magnaflow is your best bet I think

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to tentatively look at cat back systems. But I'll probably start elsewhere first (maybe intake and headers, assuming there are aftermarket headers that fit with the stock setup).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
There's plenty headers that fit the stock setup......unless of course you have secondary air injection, which is always a possibility since you have a 2010

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxknight28 View Post
There's plenty headers that fit the stock setup......unless of course you have secondary air injection, which is always a possibility since you have a 2010
Uh-oh. What is the SAI? Google images shows the intake thing (which ive seen in the intake thread) and then also a part that looks like it came from part of the exhaust. Is it the second thing you are referring to?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
yea its the little pipe on the stock intake box. That leads to exhaust manifold where it connects. i have one also sadly.

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular

autozone thrush turbo muffler for $30. get a little louder, a little deeper and doesn't break the bank. toss on a tip and its cheaper than anything but the shitty straight through coffee cans. i just did it to replace the bad stock one and it isn't horrible. the one i got off the shelf is pretty damn small though. had to put about a 6" pipe to make get it close to where it should be. but i also have a welder and welded it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2010 , 4-door , exhaust , quiet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode