How Do I Know if My Engine Has Been Upgraded? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

How Do I Know if My Engine Has Been Upgraded?

I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area.

Supposedly, my Cobalt has had a Stage 2 upgrade. How do I know if this is true?

It is a 2009 Cobalt SS manual (turbocharged, not supercharged).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
That is BankerBalt's specialty.....But maybe this will help you and others understand how it works.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Boost Control Description and Operation
A turbocharger (TC) is a compressor that is used to increase the power output of an engine by
increasing the mass of the oxygen and therefore the fuel entering the engine. This BorgWarner™
dual-scroll TC is mounted on the exhaust manifold and the lightweight turbine is driven by the
waste energy generated by the flow of the exhaust gases. The turbine is connected by a shaft to
the compressor which is mounted in the induction system of the engine. The compressor vanes
compress the intake air above atmospheric pressure, thereby greatly increasing the density of the
air entering the engine. The TC is capable of producing up to 20 psi, or 1.40 bar, of powerenhancing
boost.
The TC incorporates a wastegate that is controlled by a pressure differential, that is determined by
the engine control module (ECM) by means of a PWM solenoid, in order to regulate the pressure
ratio of the compressor. A charge air bypass valve is integrated within the unit, and is also
controlled by the ECM by utilizing a remotely mounted solenoid to prevent compressor surging and
damage from vibrations by opening during abrupt closed throttle conditions. When the bypass
valve is commanded open during closed throttle deceleration conditions, the bypass valve allows
the air to recirculate in the TC and maintain compressor speed. Within a calibrated range during
the closed throttle event, or upon a wide open throttle command the bypass valve will then close to
optimize turbo response.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

TC Wastegate Closed

The wastegate is completely closed at idle. All of the exhaust energy is passing through the
turbine. There are three reasons that the wastegate remains closed:
During normal operation, if a wide open throttle were to be requested at lower engine speeds, the
ECM will command the boost control solenoid with a duty cycle of 100 percent to minimize any
turbo lag. During engine loads in the middle and upper RPM ranges, the ECM will command the
boost control solenoid, with a duty cycle of 65-80 percent. Manifold pressures of up to 240 kPa are
possible.

TC Wastegate Open

When certain DTCs are set the ECM will limit the amount of available boost pressure. Limiting boost
pressure is accomplished by the ECM controlling the TC wastegate actuator solenoid valve and
maintaining the duty cycle at 0 percent. This means that the ECM will not actively close the
wastegate during greater engine loads. The system at this point is limited to mechanical boost.
Mechanical boost means that the wastegate will still move, but the amount of motion is limited by
the mechanical properties of the return spring within the diaphragm valve, the pneumatic
properties of the actuator, and the physics of the exhaust gas flow in the exhaust system. In this
mode of operation the manifold pressure will attain a maximum pressure of 140 kPa.
The TC wastegate diaphragm valve assembly has a threaded rod and nut that connects the
diaphragm of the valve to the wastegate. This rod is adjusted to BorgWarner™ factory
specifications and is not adjustable.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Hope this helps!

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 04-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ssscgirl
when i bought mine, mine was upgraded ,i just dk what they did i can only see some things they did.

2006 ss/sc G85 package K&n typhoon, Stage 2 Hurst sts
drilled and slotted rotors, painted calipers poly trans mounts 3'pulley.new megan exhaust new black headlights with hids

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
This is what you got.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/1921...17741C690.aspx

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/19212670...bo-upgrade-kit
Cheaper!

Did they tell you if it came with the car or added after?

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
This is what you got.

19212670 Cobalt, Solstice, HHR Stage Kit 19212670

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

19212670 | LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit | GM Parts House
Cheaper!

Did they tell you if it came with the car or added after?

They didn't say whether it came with the car or not. My immediate assumption is that it was added afterward.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner

Garage
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think gm made a gm stage 2. I've been out of the country so my bad getting to you late. If you have a staged gms1, you'll have a 3 bar map sensor and you will be boosting more than the stock 17psi. If you're higher than that, you're staged.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Levee
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBalt View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think gm made a gm stage 2. I've been out of the country so my bad getting to you late. If you have a staged gms1, you'll have a 3 bar map sensor and you will be boosting more than the stock 17psi. If you're higher than that, you're staged.
Not 100% correct. The GMS1 (which is the only stage kit for the 08+ SS/TC's), changed the MAP sensors to 3 BARs and completely re-tuned the car by the dealership. HOWEVER, the 17psi of boost as no reference to the stock boost on the SS/TC's. The LNF power plant's tune was all torque based. The tune was set to automatically raise/lower the boost (from the factory) to keep the exact same power all across the band. So if you were in the Rockies with really cold air, you could see 10psi of boost and still be putting out the same as someone in AZ in 120 degree air with 20psi, both completely stock. I've seen boost levels on a completely stock LNF (non-tuned) run 20psi, so boost has no relevence. To tell weather it's tuned is the top end pull, as well as how hard and when the boost hits, and how long it holds that boost at that level (basically not fading off). So that being said, really the only way to tell if it has the full GMS1 is the tune, which you would have to read it with HP Tuners or have the dealership look at it to tell you. You can buy the sensors for the GMS1 kit (which is what the links are), but anyone can put those in, that doesn't mean it's tuned for it. The car will still run with the 3 BAR MAPs, but won't run correctly in a tuners eyes.

If you're really wondering if it has the GMS1 on there, take it to a dealership and have them look at the tune.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode