MID UNLD Gas Grade? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Question MID UNLD Gas Grade?

Ok well the mechanic that helps me with my car told me once I replace my header- exhaust and o2 sensor I should start to use mid unld gas grade. He said its better and last longer and such. Now my questions are is this true? Should I? Why? Has any one else did this? Any pros to it? Any cons to it except my pocket lol ? Would this damage any thing if I do this? If I do change grade of gas in the first tank would it be fine with a mix of unld and mid unld cause I don't let my tank under half?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think your mechanic is full of it. You didn't change compression ratio.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni

Now this is were I'm alil confused idk if he ment like fully switch over or every once in awhile fill up on midgrade cause i know my dad fills his truck up every once and awhile with mid grade and so did my grand dad with his calilar...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Levee
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
For you, running regular, mid, or premium will all do the same thing for you. The only difference between the 3, besides the obvious octane rating, is the higher up you go in octane, the cooler and less resistant to knock the fuel is. It also burns a little slower (because of it burning cooler). If you want mid grade, get it. It won't be a MAJOR improvement, but it will give you a (not so noticeable) spunk in your car. I wouldn't recommend running premium as you don't need it. Your car isn't doing anything near what you would need to use premium .

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Staff Alumni

I run premium through mine every now and again for the hell of it, help clean the fuel system and injectors and whatnot. I also only use shell or bp gas, never any cheap watered down crap

As stated above though running premium isn't going to do much, but its only a few bucks more per tank. If you do it just run what's in if down to E before filling

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni

Would u recommend it?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni

Si I got full exhaust.and im putting my new o2 sensor in today now I was gonna get regular gas but if putting in the new o2 should I get mid grade? I have 4/8th of a tank left with mid grade do any thing?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
I wouldn't bother man, its just a waste of money. I mean you can try it if you like, it'll only be a buck more or two for a full tank, but anything you feel will only be a placebo effect.

I mean my car they strongly recommend premium, but in the owners manual it says 89 will work but there may be a decrease in power, most of the guys on the ATS forum just put regular in as they cant be bothered to sped extra (cheap SOBS eh? )

Some people run Shell premium because they're the only brand (here anyways) that dont put any ethanol in the premo and some folks claim better mileage.

But unless you're TUNED for anything over regular its a waste of money.

Last edited by StevoElsupremo; 05-22-2013 at 07:25 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Forum God

Garage
I run premium in everything, even if it's a beater.

It nets better MPG's, it keeps the gas tank/fuel system/lines/injectors cleaner, it BURNS cleaner as well, most of the time netting better co2's out the back, and you most of the time, get better performance. How much? Probably not anything you'll see...but something is better than nothing.

Also, the few more bucks at fill up for a cleaner, better gas is always a plus in my book. I strive to find non-ethanol additive gas...sure it costs more, but that's where the real MPG's and such are at. No mixed pumps...so you don't get a gallon~ of what the person before you used, which is why I always drove out of the way in my old cars to fill up at the 0% Ethanol, separate pump, 93 @ the BP a few miles from my place.

To me, it's worth it. Keeps the car in better condition...not to mention the overall lack of carbon build up over time that you would get with crappy low octane gas.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
well thats what I was saying about Shell ^ up here ALL stations have ethanol in ALL grades except shell.

Thats why some use shells premium here 0 ethanol content, I throw premium in my car because well, there is a noticeable decrease in power if I use regular, GM says up to 20HP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode