Need Help with Electrical Issues/CEL Codes - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Need Help with Electrical Issues/CEL Codes

For about 3 months now, I've had the following DTC codes on my 2010 SS/TC (Mods are in my sig):

p0338 Crankshaft position sensor
p0031 O2 sensor
p0100 MAF sensor
p0458 Evap purge solenoid

First, I replaced all 4 sensors. No change.
I cleaned both MAP sensors and even replaced the O2 sensor at the down pipe.

The car tends to stumble a little at WOT, and seems to run rich (exhaust pops and sometimes backfires) but I still have full boost unlike with a p0101 code.

My RPD is showing "no data" on both the A/F ratio and cam phase angle screens. Starting to think I may need to replace my engine harness or maybe the PCM or ECM could be fried?

Really hoping someone can make some suggestions, I'm getting a little desperate here...!

Black 2010 SS/TC G85 | ZFR6758 | Term2 tuned | 479whp, 470wtq | Built internals | Cryo'd 4.45 | CM S4 clutch | Hahn CP | ZZP IC | Forge BPV | Hahn 3 DP and Catback | Hahn CAI | Ported head & intake | LE5 TB | Opel injectors + custom 5th injector | ZZP S3 cams | 82# valve springs | 420lph E85 LPFP | Custom FM oil cooler | PRS YYZ v3 & Koni yellows | PRS XXX bar | PRS rotated mounts, rear bushings & TCABS | PRS PCV | PRS Racing oil pan | PRS brake ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Did you replace the fuse that supplies all these sensors. I believe it is called "EXH"

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 10-25-2013 at 05:48 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Funny you should ask...I was planning to check all the fuses tomorrow in a last ditch effort to stumble upon something...

Thanks a million, I'll check that one first!

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

BINGO!!!!!!

(Of course I couldn't wait until tomorrow)

Went out and checked it, and sure enough, it was busted! I replaced it, cleared the codes, started the car and held my breath....

Only one code returned, p0338 - crankshaft position sensor. That screen still shows "no data" on the RPD as well. I guess it may be worth replacing that sensor one more time. i know nothing's wrong because the car ran fine for 1,500 miles after the crankshaft was replaced and engine rebuilt back in July.

Coby, thank you SO MUCH!! If you lived closer and not in I'd drive over there and buy you a beer
You've made not only my day but my week AND month!!

PS: checked all the fuses while I was in there and my DRL fuse was busted as well, I assume that's the daytime running lights? Hadn't even noticed they were out lol

Black 2010 SS/TC G85 | ZFR6758 | Term2 tuned | 479whp, 470wtq | Built internals | Cryo'd 4.45 | CM S4 clutch | Hahn CP | ZZP IC | Forge BPV | Hahn 3 DP and Catback | Hahn CAI | Ported head & intake | LE5 TB | Opel injectors + custom 5th injector | ZZP S3 cams | 82# valve springs | 420lph E85 LPFP | Custom FM oil cooler | PRS YYZ v3 & Koni yellows | PRS XXX bar | PRS rotated mounts, rear bushings & TCABS | PRS PCV | PRS Racing oil pan | PRS brake ducts

Last edited by colodude18; 10-25-2013 at 08:54 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Forum Regular

Typically when you have a range of sensor failure codes that are completely unrelated to one another, its usually a fuse.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsp32 View Post
Typically when you have a range of sensor failure codes that are completely unrelated to one another, its usually a fuse.
But these were all related to that fuse, that's why I pointed it out to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodude18 View Post
Only one code returned, p0338 - crankshaft position sensor. That screen still shows "no data" on the RPD as well. I guess it may be worth replacing that sensor one more time. i know nothing's wrong because the car ran fine for 1,500 miles after the crankshaft was replaced and engine rebuilt back in July.
Hold on now, if car runs well, your "CPS" is good because otherwise it wouldn't even restart. Did you do a "CPS" relearn after install?

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Coby, thank you SO MUCH!! If you lived closer and not in I'd drive over there and buy you a beer
You've made not only my day but my week AND month!!
If I drank beer and you didn't live so far I'd drive over and let you buy me a beer and a lap dance, lol

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Forum Regular

no no, what im saying is, sometimes you can have a MAF fail but trigger codes for another sensors, and vice versa on any other sensor and fixing the source of the problem may solve a range of codes. But having something like a CPS, MAF, o2, and evap code all trigger at once is usually the sign of a fuse. For instance I had a MAP sensor fail on my car, which also triggered o2 lean codes and cylinder balance codes. Ive had VVT solenoids fail which triggered cam timing codes and MAP codes because of low MAP pressure at idle. I think probably one of the most common misconceptions on a 2.4 is when the VVT solenoids trigger those cam timing codes people wind up replacing the cam position sensors and never fix the problem and wind up confused.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Hold on now, if car runs well, your "CPS" is good because otherwise it wouldn't even restart. Did you do a "CPS" relearn after install?
I read conflicting stories about the car needing a relearn after replacing the CPS, so just in case I brought it into the dealership. They confirmed the LNF doesn't need a relearn. It's automatic.

Quote:
If I drank beer and you didn't live so far I'd drive over and let you buy me a beer and a lap dance, lol
Well in that case I'm glad you don't drink beer lol
I DID NOT offer any such thing as a lap dance - oh wait, you probably meant "Buy me a beer and [BUY ME] a lap dance"....
Hopefully

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Well in that case I'm glad you don't drink beer lol
I DID NOT offer any such thing as a lap dance - oh wait, you probably meant "Buy me a beer and [BUY ME] a lap dance"....
Hopefully
lol, no lap dance from you unless you're a she thank you very much.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
lol, no lap dance from you unless you're a she thank you very much.
Nope, I'm a 51-year old grumpy old man

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Spent a little time yesterday looking at my one remaining DTC code for the CPS. The connector off the engine harness has power so I'm suspecting the pigtail going from that connector to the CPS is the culprit. I've been trying to find a PN for it but to no avail. Does anyone know the PN?

Also, I think I'll have to take the starter off to reconnect a new cable. I replaced the sensor before during replacing the radiator so I had wide open access to it (which was really nice! (see pictures below).

From what I could tell the second bolt holding the starter motor in place is hard to get to. I want to pick up a set of ratcheting wrenches since I don't think I can get a socket in there. Anyone done this before? (my arthritis doesn't help either when it comes to tight spaces...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode