I Can't Seem to Find the Info I'm Looking For. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

I Can't Seem to Find the Info I'm Looking For.

Hey guys, I'm looking to add some power and aggression to my cobalt and really don't know where to start when it comes to the internals. I want to get bigger cams, new valves and springs, but my car is also my daily driver and I don't want to kill my gas milage too much. I'm mainly looking to rebuild the top end of my engine and leave the bottom alone (pistons, push rods, Franck) where could I start with this and who would be a good place to take it too to get a tune? Any help would be great. OH!,almost forgot, its a 2007 4door with the 2.2l and manual trans. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
First off, welcome to the forum, nice to see a fellow LS sedan owner who wants a bit more go from his car. As for your goals, doing your internals are probably not the best place to start, unless you're planning on going FI. From what I know there are no aftermarket cams for '07+ models anyways. I'd recommend starting with simple bolt-ons from a SRI/CAI all the way down to a cat-back. However, without a tune they won't do much besides sound good, so check out HP Tuners or Trifecta. I'm sure some members will weigh in on which is better to suit your needs, though you will need to use premium gas afterwards. Let us know of your goals and budget, and we'll do our best on the advice side of the equation.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
How much power are you looking to make with it? Rods and pistons are the weak point in this motor once you want to make real power. Valve springs start floating around 7k but you're not going to be making any power at that rpm anyways. Cams would help but you're an 07 which has a cam sensor pressed on to the intake cam, so in order for them to work properly, you'd need new cams, valve springs, cam sensor, and then have the sensor pressed on. So you're looking at roughly 1500 for about 10-15whp and you're gonna need the supporting mods to get the best out of it which would be another 1000-1500. With all of that included, in my opinion, not worth it. So again, how much power do you want to make?

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

I Will just go with bolt on stuff and a tune then. I was looking to gain 10- 20hp, bigot its going to cost $2000-$4000, I might as well go fi. I don't plan on doing that. I already have a cold air in take ("autozone buffet" special) and I noticed a little difference when I paired that to my cat back (i believe an off brand magnaflow...it sounds good). I'm looking at the zzp long tube header with cat in the down pipe. A few questions I have for that would be: a) is it a "high flow" cat. and B) does it fit up to where the stock exhaust would connect to the dp? I will look into the tunes later this evening. Thanks for the input with the internals
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Garage
It will say if its a high flow cat. As long as It doesn't say "automatic only", the header and downpipe combo will bolt up where the catback starts

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just a word of warning, the more bolt-ons you add, the less low-end torque you'll put out (in exchange for high-end power) Torque comes from air restriction, and the less of a restriction you have, the more gutless your car will feel below a certain rpm. Keep that in mind if you do go down that route.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

What's the difference between the manual and auto trans option? I don't believe it says it a high flow cat, so if I get it with out the cat and the 2.5" dp, will I have to do anything special for back pressure that won't be there due to no cat? And can I get a tune that will allow the car to run as good or better with out the cat?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Garage
Auto trans are pushed more forward and the downpipe would be too short. I, personally, would go with a shorty header. The output of your engine is not going to change much at all and its cheaper to buy a shorty header along with a direct replacement zzp downpipe. Tune can delete the code for a cat if you decide to not run one

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Levee
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Just a word of warning, the more bolt-ons you add, the less low-end torque you'll put out (in exchange for high-end power) Torque comes from air restriction, and the less of a restriction you have, the more gutless your car will feel below a certain rpm. Keep that in mind if you do go down that route.
This is true to an extent. The VVT, VVT-i, MiVEC and other similar Variable mecahnical timing cars you can actually tune the car to make up for the lost torque. That being said with the tune you would have to retartd the timing of the ignition map and VVT at the lower RPM/load ranges and you will actually gain back all the torque you've just lost from the upgrades. Then when you get done tuning for extra torque, once you hit the spot where HP is higher than torque (if you look at dyno graphs you will always see the HP and TQ curves cross) and it's at that point you start adding ignition timing as well as mechanical timing (to an extent) to optimize the higher flowing and better parts, thus maximizing the power you will make off those parts. So basically, retartd lower RPMS, and advance upper RPMS and you will have a WELL rounded power band, and your dyno graph curves will be really nice looking.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

OP, as far as tunes, anyone with HPtuners will be able to tune you. It's not really all that hard to do, but it costs $100 to unlock the ECU for the tuner to tune you, then whatever it is after that is pocket money for the tuner for his time and services. Hope this helps

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I see the hptuner stuff can be quite helpful. If I got that, then I would take it to someone who has tuned before. Besides intake, full exhaust, and a tune, are there any other engine mods I can do to add a little power here and some torque there? Would fuel injectors be worth worrying about? Same with a bigger fuel pump? Or would those things be pointless without changing pistons, crank, rods, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode