Help With Supercharger Info - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Cool Help With Supercharger Info

Ok so I recently did some research and found out that the mp90 supercharger is the best supercharger for its price (My opinion due to is high PSI and lower ATI compared to the m62). But I have some questions that I couldn't find on any forms on here or CCS.NET. Ok well my first question is I have heard them called mp90 and m90 is there any difference, does the "P" mean its ported or am I just a [email protected]$$, and they are exactly the same. Second question is I believe that it is not a simple swap so is there are forms that I haven't found that have instructions on how to install them. And my last question is where the hell do you buy them from I don't like to buy things off ebay (NOBODY SHOULD EVER BUY ANYTHING "NEW" OFF EBAY USED IS "OK") but I didn't find any on there either, I have also looked on craigslist and haven't found any in a 300 miles radius.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Forum Regular

MP90 is a magnuson branded M90, typically 4th generation. Most M90's are 3rd generation blowers, inefficient by comparison to the 5th generation M62 that comes with cobalt's. There are design differences between the 3rd and 4th generations, as well as price differences. You are looking at about 2600 dollars for a brand new MP90 4th generation blower, if you can find one.

At current there are no retailers that sell OEM eaton blowers in any generation, and the ones that I have seen do not match standard cobalt intake manifold both patterns, they are a generic bolt pattern designed for universal use.

If you are looking for a upgraded supercharger, you are looking in the wrong direction, M90's are a thing of the past, there already is an upgraded blower for the cobalt available to the aftermarket, and thats the Harrop TVS1320 that zzp sells, which is a 6th generation eaton high helix blower that runs between 15-25psi depending on the pulley size and is a massive increase in efficiency.

HARROP - Harrop TVS Supercharger #HTV1320-LSJ

It is also a massive increase in price, but probably the single biggest performance upgrade you can make to a supercharged cobalt. On average people see between 40-60whp gains depending on the pulley size. If you do decide to make the upgrade, i recommend running zzp's dual pass intercooler upgrade which changes the end tank flow direction and increases the efficiency of the stock intercooler system.

ZZPerformance - ZZP LSJ Dual Pass Intercooler plate kit #ZZ-DUALPIC

A larger heat exchanger core is also a good idea as well.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
He hit it on the spot pretty much. How much power do you plan on making? That's the first questoon

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Forum God

Garage
Third generation M90's are junko.

Being in the 3800 platform, most anything Eaton came out with pre-GenV anything is crap.

Rotors are crap.

Snout seals/shafts are junk.

Rotor coating peels off; ruins the rotor pack.

Not to mention spinning it to high RPM's the Ecotec's turn will kill them off quick and turn it into the awesome inefficient heat pump it is.

Good news?

They're uber cheap and EVERYWHERE. They go for $75-$100 complete with the vacuum tree on CL and the Grand Prix forums.

I got my M62 blower kit from a guy that frequents the forums (was off an '07 car with less than 70~k miles on it), stand up dude.

It's been sitting collecting dust for months, as I've got no intrest with this car anymore, really. Go ahead and shoot me a PM and offer me a price, it's basically all the big stuff you need for a straight bolt-on swap for your car.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular

I wouldnt say junk, ive seen them last plenty of miles on 3800 grand prix's without issue, and I had a M45 3rd gen blower on my honda which was fine for over 50,000 miles before I sold it. But again, no where near as good as the newer stuff.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Forum God

Garage
Trust me; been in the 3800 game for what...nearly a decade now?

After seeing the efficiency graphs and ranges these blowers make power...

Yes; junk.

There is worlds better options out there.

As for life of the blower? Sureeeee...after you rebuild them, they're "better". But the parts and fluids GM used from the factory, didn't last. When you start ramping up the push of those things, and the RPM's these smaller DOHC motors run...they start to get out of their efficiency range; QUICKLY. 3800's will out spin them on a 2.8"~ pulley (and we're talking 6200-6500 engine RPM), a full inch smaller than the factory sized 3.8" dinner plate. They begin to need more than 80~WHP in parasitic loss to churn out a beneficial output. At that point, people just upgrade to the GenV M90 from the '04-'08 L32's...which as well realistically become worthless after going lower than a 2.8"~. Will you still gain TQ. down low? Sure...but the HP #'s suffer do the power it takes away to make more. Even SFI overdriven balancers and intercooling/E85 can only do so much. Maxed out GenV setups were running in the mid 400's for WHP, closing in on 500~WTQ....problem is the multiple stacked intercooler cores, over worked IC pumps, hot spots on cylinder heads from the heatsoaking, etc. Even phenolic didn't help that much.

Most just got smart and ditched the hEaton for a snail.

2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.

Last edited by bluegtp91; 11-07-2013 at 10:03 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Snail or bail

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Forum God

Garage
^^this guy understands the simple concept.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Forum Regular

love turbos, but id love to get my hands on a TVS1320 for my 2.4 lol
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Forum God

Garage
Would be a insta-torquey, SOB. That's for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode