Engine Swap? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Engine Swap?

Id like to put an le5 in my base model or is it cheaper to build an l61?

2007 SS/SC Lazer Blue Metallic. 2.90" pulley, 42# Injectors, K&N Typhoon Intake, Badmab Header, ZZP 3"dp, HPTuned, and Tsudo Muffler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Much cheaper to build the L61, it's not as simple of a swap as most would think considering it runs on a different ECM.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Engine swaps just seem evil to me, but if you're going to do it, you might as well put a meatier motor in there. LNF/LDK perhaps?

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 PM

Just build the F61, it's not worth the headache of trying to swap an entire engine that runs on a different computer with a different wiring harness and getting everything to work.

YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 PM

Garage
Honda guys do it all the time, it can't be that hard. If I had a dollar for every time someone mentioned B16s or K20s at mechanics school... jeez.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 AM

Believe me when I say it's not as simple as the Honda engine for swapping them, there a lots of things different. How many engine swaps have you heard in the cobalt world, I'd imagine only a few if any, where as it's relatively common with Honda's. Theirs a reason it hasn't been done much, it's expensive, hard and quite frankly not worth it.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 AM

Garage
As I stated, I don't care for swaps so I've never really bothered doing research on the subject. I just know that people with fast Hondas can be friggin' annoying sometimes.

I'd just think that anything can be done when enough money is thrown into it. But for a better $/hp ratio, it's better to just build your current motor I don't doubt.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 AM

And that's what I'm trying to say, either build the L61 or start with a different engine in a different car to build, otherwise you'll spend so much more trying to do the swap even if it can be successful. I know you get attached to a car but the L61 when built is stronger than a non built engine, you also can run cams in the L61 which I dislike because they don't make any that work in the LAP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement