Possibly Crazy Engine Swap Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to Asoboleski
Possibly Crazy Engine Swap Question

Taking a huge risk here for coming off as a retard, but I'm new and don't know much about cars. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

I love my Chevy 2010 Cobalt Sedan. It's light, it handles good, reliable in the winter, and in my opinion one of the most potential filled sedans out there as far as aesthetic modding goes. But the 4-cylinder engine and ~150hp make me question loyalty.

Putting money aside(if you have estimates, please share them), is it possible to swap out the engine for a V6? I would love to put in a V6 and start doing serious upgrades to the car but I'm not sure if it's possible. The block(?) seems very small I wouldn't even know if it would physically fit.

So, money aside. Is it POSSIBLE? Doing everything to the engine isn't a concern. Upgrade to chassis or replacing everything under the hood would be an option if it meant I can put in a V6 with total cost under $20K.

Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
For that amount of money you'd be better off to supercharge or turbo your reworked 2.2. You will add more power and less weight. Wish I had yhay kind of money to throw at my Cobalt.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. But like coby said turbo charging would be the best bang for your money. You could spend less than half of that 20k building your engine for a turbo charger and make some serious power.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I agree, with money, anything is possible. VW once shoehorned a W12 motor in a Golf. Imagine that.

Financially speaking however, it'll be far more practical and cost effective to add forced induction. Are you looking for a power build or are you aiming at something else (uniqueness?)

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:24 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Buddy in Ontario here did an ls2 v8 rwd swap in his cobalt so yea I guess u could put a v6 in.

What I don't get is your statement bout the 4cyl with 150hp being reliable?
I've been running 403whp for a year now in my lil 4cyl ecotec, no problems what so ever.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

But that being said buddy who did the ls2 swap said he'd do it again for anyone that wanted for roughly 20k iirc just need the donor car along with yours (he used a gto)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
imagine an LS2 powered LS/LT sedan thumpin away at the lights hahahaha probably make a few people shit themselves at the strip lololol do it and toss hubcaps on the car just for added lolz

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Undersized steelies, standard equipment for any true sleeper/SVT Cobra killer lol

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to Asoboleski
Thanks for the replies.

It's more about the uniqueness and power. I figure that a V6 would allow me to overall put out more power and get better speeds than a 4 cylinder. I'm not trying to race the car. But I do want to be able to hit 60 in under 5 seconds down the line. Not sure if it's possible, but damn the SS can do it in 5.7 stock(So it's listed) so I don't see any reason putting some love into the 2.2L wouldn't get me even further.

What do you guys think? I guess my main goals are acceleration, power and engine sound.

A little fact about me: When I like something or find a new hobby, money is never an issue. I'll spend however much and wait however long it takes to do something just for the satisfaction of doing it. Having a V6 Turbcharged Cobalt sedan putting out 400+ doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds is something I need in my life. haha

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Exclamation

Right on buddy, but you really don't need more than 4 cylinders to make that work. I believe the record now stands at 898fwhp for a turbo swapped LSJ SS.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Gawd of Thunda!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SpeedyCobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoboleski View Post
Thanks for the replies.

It's more about the uniqueness and power. I figure that a V6 would allow me to overall put out more power and get better speeds than a 4 cylinder. I'm not trying to race the car. But I do want to be able to hit 60 in under 5 seconds down the line. Not sure if it's possible, but damn the SS can do it in 5.7 stock(So it's listed) so I don't see any reason putting some love into the 2.2L wouldn't get me even further.

What do you guys think? I guess my main goals are acceleration, power and engine sound.

A little fact about me: When I like something or find a new hobby, money is never an issue. I'll spend however much and wait however long it takes to do something just for the satisfaction of doing it. Having a V6 Turbcharged Cobalt sedan putting out 400+ doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds is something I need in my life. haha

Turbocharge your car, cheaper and from the sounds of it its all you need

2005 Stealth grey metallic 2DR Standard Base Model
2006 Burnt Orange 2DR Standard SS
MY SHOWOFF THREAD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode