Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhaust Question

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Plain Jane 
#1 ·
I would like to get some power gains by installing aftermarket exhaust but also do it in an inexpensive manner. For example, I have a $50 K&N filter in my stock housing which is going to be less restrictive than other filters but I didn't go all out and run a cold air because I don't have a lot of money to dump into my car a the moment. If I just wanted to get a small HP gain and better sound out of my 2.2L, what advice do you have without me spending an arm and a leg?

Also note: I probably will never turbo the car or do any advanced engine modifications.

#2 ·
You wont really get any hp gains out of a cheap exhaust. If all you want is the sound just replace the muffler to change the note.

#5 ·
Plus your pinch point is going to be at the down pipe. A bigger cat back wont do much if you run stock manifold and down pipe.

#6 ·
after catback and downpipe you want to upgrade the header/exhaust mani, you want something primaries that match the size of the exhaust ports on the engine, and with equal length tubes running to the collector.

#7 ·
The down pipe being what runs down from the header? Not sure of the technical terms for all of this... also, what would be a good diameter to go with? I was thinking 2 inch pipe. I'm thinking a local muffler shop could get me some mandrel bent tubing for cheap and I could just have him weld it all up after I got a muffler and header off eBay? But idk.

#10 ·
Either's fine unless you plan on pushing past 300 WHP.

#13 ·
Also worth noting are the different types of headers. Basically, there are three.

Shorty: strong low end, weak high end pwer
midlength: equal (moderate) low and high end power
longtube: weak low end, strong high end power

So depending on your goals, you may be interested in this.

There are also cat sizes to choose from. They're rated by cell count. The smaller the number, the less restrictive.

And finally, if you ever plan on tuning your car in the future, it's highly recommended you buy a DP with a wideband bung and sensor. This'll help your tuner fine tune his work for optimum results.

Check out ZZP for some good products/ideas.

#14 ·
For power gains on a n/a motor= 2.25" is sufficient enough unless your planning on increasing the intake/exhaust ports. You need to balance what goes in and what comes out to gain power. Just remember flow in should = flow out.

Best gains for the 2.2L for bolt ons (and to keep emissions friendly):
-ZZP Midlength Header/Downpipe combo w/400cell cat
-ebay catback w/Borla muffler or borla/gmpp catback
-K&N Typhoon intake system
-LSJ throttle body
-2.4L (LE5) intake manifold
-Trifecta or HPTuners tune (will be required for LSJ TB)

That should set you in the mid 180ish power wise at the crank which is pretty good. I don't know for sure what power it will get you, but it should be decent enough and have a nice toned engine sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.