Best Mods to Start Off With?? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Best Mods to Start Off With??

Hello I just got a 2006 cobalt lt. My friend has a 93 Ford probe with a few mods and he keeps trying to get me to race him. However I know it can't keep up sense his car tops out at 170, and runs high 10s low 11s in 1/4 mile. Where would be the best place to start modding my car. I don't have a huge budget and don't have a vast knowledge of cars. However I do have a few mechanically inclined friends that I would trust to do work for me. I was thinking about starting with a light weight flywheel and a stage 2 or 3 clutch sense my clutch is starting to feel spongie. This is my daily driver also so I don't want anything that will really hurt my mpg or make it uncomfortable for street driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:13 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/eng...-mod-list.html

check out this list, its a good place to start

['10 LT 2.2, 15% Tint, Blue LED Dome and Trunk lights, Kenwood 252U, 2 12" Kicker Comps,Delinte D7 Thunder tires, 18in NR10's, Eibach Sportlines, Fe5 Shocks and Struts, Moog Endlinks, ZZP Catback, ZZP Stage 3 Turbo Kit, 8000K HID Halo's,Painted Emblems, Blacked out tailights]

Visit My Showoff!:
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...burnie-md.html
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks. I seen that thread right after I posted this. I'm using my phone and it's not wanting to load this site well. What would be the best clutch to go with sense it needs replaced anyways? I have driven a few cars with a stage 4 clutch and it was not comfortable for normal street driving. I don't need a super fast car to beat most of the tuners in my area so I won't be doing a ton of mods most here can't keep up with me and mine is still completely stock. I cry a little every time I beat a ss in my lt.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Unless you plan to supercharge or turbo it down the road, an oem replacement will be fine. Dont bother with a lightweight flywheel

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you want to keep up with your buddy's Probe, it's going to take alot of work. Turbo would be the only option. Unfortunately, real life modding isn't like video games, and you can't simply drop in a turbo and expect 100+ hp. You will need many supporting mods and internals to keep it running reliably, and that will cost money.

Staying NA will be much cheaper and far less of a hassle. Your car will never be super quick, as our motors don't seem to respond as well to bolt-ons and tunes then say a Honda for example. Fully bolted and tuned, you might see high 14's on the strip. But if you're on a budget and not too concerned about high power, then I'd say it's the way to go.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Ok so if I get friends to do the work would I be able to turbo my car and get the proper internals to support the motor being turboed for about 6000? That's my max budget and has to include replacing my clutch. I seen a zzp turbo kit for 3500 I think it was but don't know what else I should buy for internals. Or if the zzp kit is worth the money. I am not adverse to using cheaper ""knock off"" parts as long as they are reliable.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:07 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Dont waste your money on trying to make a slow car fast, trust me

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:38 AM
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBalt View Post
Dont waste your money on trying to make a slow car fast, trust me
Listen to this man

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't know if I can agree with that, but it will cost a lot of money. It's the same with modifying any car, fast or slow. In the Cobalt's case, it's much cheaper to modify then, say, a Bimmer or something.

I know these cars aren't easily comparable, but just to give you an idea.

Supercharger kit for E92 M3
M3 Tuning | VF Engineering

Supercharger kit for a 2.2/2.4 Cobalt
Chevy Ecotec 2.2 or 2.4 Bolt on Supercharger Kit | ZZPerformance

You could buy a clean SS/TC for the price of some of the M3's kits. Whatever you spend on your little Chevy, there's always someone who'll spend more, just because he has a fancier badge on his hood.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Prospect

I'd do what plain Jane said. Just get a tc. It'll put more power completely stock than you may see with your car on a stock motor. And with a tune?? The probe will stand no chance. Even if he has the Klze swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode